With meditation comes great wisdom

the village idiot

On 06/03/2018 at 23:20, peatff said:

If I'm not conscious then I'm unconscious. If I'm not aware then I'm unaware. I can be conscious but unaware but if I'm unconscious I'm just unconscious. It's all too deep for me. 

It is easily explained in that she is semi conscious when the trucks appear over the horizon, but unaware of the danger until the last seconds when she becomes very conscious and very aware before becoming permanently unconscious and permanently unaware!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Billhook said:

It is easily explained in that she is semi conscious when the trucks appear over the horizon, but unaware of the danger until the last seconds when she becomes very conscious and very aware before becoming permanently unconscious and permanently unaware!

There is a big misconception around meditation, and particularly mindfulness meditation (the form most commonly practiced in the West).

It's often thought of as some kind of trance state that seperates you from normal experience. It is actually the opposite. Mindfulness meditation connects you more fully to internal and external stimuli, making you much more aware of what is going on, not less.

Becoming more aware of these stimuli and understanding how they arise can greatly increase the quality and authenticity of everyday experience. With practice you can focus in much more on what is actually occuring, rather than on the (often false) narrative we construct about things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the village idiot said:

There is a big misconception around meditation, and particularly mindfulness meditation (the form most commonly practiced in the West).

It's often thought of as some kind of trance state that seperates you from normal experience. It is actually the opposite. Mindfulness meditation connects you more fully to internal and external stimuli, making you much more aware of what is going on, not less.

Becoming more aware of these stimuli and understanding how they arise can greatly increase the quality and authenticity of everyday experience. With practice you can focus in much more on what is actually occuring, rather than on the (often false) narrative we construct about things.

Then I think that your first post should have a photo of a girl in a quiet spot in the woods with a gentle stream nearby and birds singing in the trees.

Sitting in the middle of a main road does not show signs of great awareness to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billhook said:

Then I think that your first post should have a photo of a girl in a quiet spot in the woods with a gentle stream nearby and birds singing in the trees.

Sitting in the middle of a main road does not show signs of great awareness to me.

Agreed. Certainly not wisdom!

The picture was just a bit of fun. I think maybe it was taken a bit too seriously.

27 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Agreed. Certainly not wisdom!

The picture was just a bit of fun. I think maybe it was taken a bit too seriously.

Don't worry VI, I got it and enjoyed it: a perfect juxtaposition of thread title and picture.

If what you have said here and in other similar threads represents yourself truly, then, if you haven't already, I recommend you read Richard Jefferies' 'The Story of My Heart' it is quite unlike his 'usual' fare regarding Hodge and his Masters, and is a long stream of consciousness contemplating his place in the universe.

Happy Days

Yourn

1 hour ago, Yournamehere said:

Don't worry VI, I got it and enjoyed it: a perfect juxtaposition of thread title and picture.

If what you have said here and in other similar threads represents yourself truly, then, if you haven't already, I recommend you read Richard Jefferies' 'The Story of My Heart' it is quite unlike his 'usual' fare regarding Hodge and his Masters, and is a long stream of consciousness contemplating his place in the universe.

Happy Days

Yourn

Sounds great, I just looked it up. Will definately have a read.

Thanks for the tip:thumbup: