Another Brexit Referendum?

matelot

Brexit Referendum - The Sequal  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Have your views on Brexit changed?

• I voted Brexit and I'm glad I did
    • I voted Brexit and I regret it
    • I voted Bremain and I'm glad I did
    • I voted Bremain and I regret it

John Major seems to be banging on about another Brexit referendum so the "people can have their say". What do you lot think? 

I would say the politicans haven't seemed that keen on allowing us to have our say on the EU in the past.... Ted Heath joined the EEC then AFTERWARDS asked us if we would like to stay in. David Cameron promised us a referendum when he wasn't expected to win the General Election.... We only had the first Brexit referendum by chance..

John Major never had a referendum for the Mastrict Treaty (despite other countries having one). So his record on allowing the "people to have their say" isn't very good...

Still nobody knows what Brexit will look like, nevermind what the effects will be.  David Davis said last week that it won't be a "Mad Max-style world borrowed from dystopian fiction”.  That annoys me as it's what I felt I was promised when I voted Leave.

Re: John Major, I think he's probably been the best UK PM of my lifetime.  Such a depressing thought.

Tbh I can’t see the problem with having another one, Imo it would be a different result, personally I’m a remainer, but probably half the people I know who voted leave would vote remain if they had another go, not being a bleeding heart liberal [emoji300]️ just saying what I’ve heard from a very diverse group of people,

I'm afraid we are going to have to disagree on this one, mate.

'The people' have spoken. 'We' voted to leave, ok it was by a small majority, but it was the majority of the people that could be bothered to vote.  

Edit: beat to it by that mad bloke.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 2

Whether your a remainer or leaver is irrelevant here.We had a vote,the majority voted to leave and thats that.
If we start to have repeat referendums/elections because the powers at be dont like the result then our democratic system is a complete arse.

Yes, but we have repeat elections every 4/5 years that give us the chance to change things we don’t like or think will give us a better option, is it really that different to have another vote 3/4 years after the first to give people the option to change?

1 minute ago, john p said:

Yes, but we have repeat elections every 4/5 years that give us the chance to change things we don’t like or think will give us a better option, is it really that different to have another vote 3/4 years after the first to give people the option to change?

Yes, it is different.