Anyone buy in timber for firewood??

mark_j

Here in Norway every second farmer has a wood processor as dried wood goes for between £4 and 9£ a sack!

One outfit drives in into Norway dried and sacked from Lativia and Lithuainia as the labour cost is so much less there.The favoured wood is Birch,we just give away logs mostly as nobody will pay for anything that isn't cut,split dried and sacked.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look of that Timberwolf TW 7, what kind of price are they? not cheap i bet. Its got me thinking, i wonder if my engineer friend could make a similiar device for me with some mods, if i could power the hydarulic ram with one of my tractors i wouldnt need the honda engine or the hydraulic oil resevoir because that would be contained within the tractor, as long as you had the big ram sliding on a bed, and a sharp knife to split the logs and two spool valves on the tractor it should work. Very interesting, do any companies make something simliar to what i have described??

Thanks Mark

they do mark theres loads on ebay priced around £500-600

Thanks

Will have a look when i get home, cant view ebay from work, i see there is a tw 3 which is pto driven, i wonder why they dont just run off the hydraulics though, im very interested, we have this mc connell sawbench

DSCF0244s-full.jpg

i know someone who has another one that they are selling, was going to buy it but may invest in a splitter!! whats the ones on ebay like?? anyone got an equivelent one?? are they strong and do they last??

Thanks mark

gnarly bits of kit those mc connels but the make there money.......might of jumped the gun a bit there mark as i can only find 1 or 2 on ebay at the moment to be honest ive never used one only seem them working they are not super fast but get the job done but i would maybe worry about stressing the tractor hydrolics to much..the type wich have there own hydrolics running off the pto i have used loads and they are powerfull and fast only problem is they are atleast twice the price

What about a screw type splitter? http://www.hydrocut.co.uk/hy-crack.htm

Them screw types are ok but involve more handling. The idea of a ram pushing onto cutting knives appeals to me, not sure yet whether i want one on the 3 point hitch or a trailed one with wheels, something i need to look into. The Mc connel saw is fantastic but with big slabs your handling them 3-4 times, i beleive with a splitter each piece pushes the other lot forward, so you dont have to rehandle and you can incorporate a conveyor etc. am i right??

good conversation though, something which interests me aswell.keep it up :icon14: