Ripped off by tree surgeons

Martin95

1 hour ago, Treerover said:

Intelligent and erudite response .
I work for a few Farmers now and again, and yes, admittedly their budgets can be ‘challenging ‘ on occasion emoji849.png, but they can often be an incredibly useful contact.
Great potential chip drop.
Often happy to receive truck loads of cack wood eg willow, softwood etc which can save valuable time returning back to base......and I’ve also been allowed to fish their rivers and shoot their land on occasion .
All of which makes it worthwhile in my opinion, taking a slight hit on the price for what ‘appears’ to be a straight forward quick job emoji1303.png

I can wholly relate to the 'fringe benefits' that you mention above.  Any alternative that represents 'intangible' (untaxable) benefits are good with me - so long as it represents equal advantage to customer AND service provider.  There is a good deal more to 'value' than £'s alone.

Here comes the but....

But, none of that is intimated in the OP which (by my reading) represents itself as exactly the kind of PITA customer that wants a dozen quotes for a minor task so as to shave £10 off the already pitiful value they have predetermined that the task warrants regardless of the time and effort expended by the people providing the quotes and deserves an fairly immediate and fairly pronounced body swerve.

One of the great pleasures of being a service provider is the privilege to decide who you might want to provide your services to, and conversely...... For those that think the privilege of deciding who will do the work sits with the customer alone, good luck.  

I don't think the discussion has got out of proportion.  

Post to an arb forum saying you've been ripped off because you don't like a QUOTE - kind of intimating that all tree workers are rip-off merchants.  The responses have delivered a fairly balanced nationwide summary which I'd interpret as:

Busy, professional outfits seem to be of the - "...it's there or thereabouts territory, or might consider it on the back of a ¾ day...."

'Handymen', the desperate or the very local Saturdays and Sundays brigade - "...would probably knock it over for cash @£150..."

Farmers - "...push it over with the tractor..."

You pays your money (or, apparently not in this case) you takes your chances....

• Like 3

2 things,

1.we can only judge this farmer on his post and 2.he still hasnt responded to any of the comments on this thread,by that id say he has the potential to be a pita customer who thinks tree surgeons are conning gits.

I am by no means tarring all farmers with the same brush but i know a few and if the shoe fits...

22 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

2 things,

1.we can only judge this farmer on his post and 2.he still hasnt responded to any of the comments on this thread,by that id say he has the potential to be a pita customer who thinks tree surgeons are conning gits.

I am by no means tarring all farmers with the same brush but i know a few and if the shoe fits...

Or he’s lit the fuse and sat back laughing into his brew, 14 pages and counting. 

• Like 4

i bet there is more to the crap photos.Like a power line or such.

I once got 30 or so photos of a tree to take down at a flash resort near to my base  not one showed the pool that i knew was there.

Only when  i asked for a photo with the tree and the pool in it did it show the tree 4 metres from the pool.

Cheeky bastards 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, felixthelogchopper said:

He's never actually said that he is a farmer, only that he lives on a small farm and has farming friends.

Your sayin he lives on a farm,goes on farming forums and is a tight arse but he's not a farmer...

Maybe..

but if i was a gambling man id say he's farmer...

If it looks and smells like shite..

Odds on its shite...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1