My splicing attempts

old snake

liam88, I think you are right about the bunching. I was aware of that and did milk it a bit but obviously not enough. I think if I put a biner through the eye and tie it off to something I may be able to milk a cm of cover into the rope. I used a prussik to slide along the rope to bury the eye during splicing. I guess this will work just a swell to unbunch the cover strands.

I spliced up some 10mm Ocean Polyester last night using the 'kernmantle' instructions from Teufelberger's website. I found them very strange.

The cover taper seems to work ok(ish) - the instructions just say to cut it on an angle rather than removing individual strands like Samsons instruction. What I found strange was that when marking the size of the eye (marks 1 and 2 on the cover) no allowance is made for the fact that the eye will become smaller once you do the final bury of the cross-over. Also the cross-over is much closer to the throat of the splice than I would have thought necessary.

One other thing was that for the core taper they just say to mark the core where it exits the cover, pull out and cut on angle. This way of tapering results in a bit of a bump instead of a smooth taper.

Is anyone using different class 1 double braid instructions for this rope? I would appreciate any feedback on my above comments and any tips.

Cheers guys:biggrin:

Link to teufelbergers splicing instructions: http://www.teufelberger.com/uploads/tx_txconceptadownloads/Spleissanleitung_Kern_Mantelseil_01.pdf

Edited by browncow
insert link

Yeah I have read stuff by Brian Toss and others who recommend stitching the crossover. Some people recommend a loose stitch, some a tight stitch and others not at all. Is there any weak point created by stitching? I have not noticed the crossover loosening during burying but I guess you need to dissect a splice to really know?

Having done the OP using two different instructions I think a modification of the two may work better. the teufelberger method just cuts the cover on a taper, which leaves more cover volume in the splice and doesn't seem to leave lumps/bumps. The samson method of burying the core further past the 'point x' towards the slipknot seems better and also their method of tapering the core is smoother. I think I will try combining the two and see how that goes.

My first attempt at tachyon.. What a bu*ger:001_tongue: Im sure the new england instructions are designed to make it difficult :sneaky2: A 3,4,3,4,3,4 taper on the cover tail seems to be a bit too blunt a taper to make it bury easily enough. Maybe I'm just a wimp..:thumbup1:

P1100060.jpg.9a73ec7088d0b1e666d0146a68c29136.jpg

P1100061.jpg.0f93e9b1d652fe6a394de55c5dae466c.jpg