Cumbrian members

Andy Collins

Maybe a bit insensitive here, and hope everybodys ok. Hows access problems on the roads, thinking of heading up to paddle a couple rivers that you can only do in spate. Don't want to add to the chaos though.......

R

The Kent has dropped right down now, still high but not as bad as it was earlier. Plenty of places up here to go paddling, got a mate who does a lot, bet he has been out. Get out there while you can. But agree that going to the very worse hit areas wouldn't be a good idea as mentioned before.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the last announcement on the radio there are 20+ roads closed around here this morning, I went down to have a look at the river (Nith) last night and it's higher than I've ever seen it before.

We're used to it bursting it's banks most years here, but this is a biggy!!

I feel for all the places being flooded out today :(

i can remember it flooding way up the vennel once,sounds like there has been lots of rain.

was about 27 here yesterday.........:001_tt2:

That is such an awful situation for everyone affected, whose lives have been devastated. My heart goes out to the family of PC Bill Barker. I cannot begin to imagine the sense of loss they feel,....he was trying to get motorists off a bridge for their own safety, at the cost of his life, and only 44 years old. Tragedy in the truest sense.

Ukminch.......i think that 'insensitive' doesnt even come close to describing how those affected would feel if they saw you up there on a jolly mate.:thumbdown::thumbdown:

After the Storms in 05 Insurance sharks/companys would not insure unless excess of silly money where in place and even then the policys where ridiculously priced.

A lot of people in this area have no insurance for flood, please keep that in mind, Ive been into Cockermouth (5 Miles away) this morning looks like a war zone, The clean up for many homes and shops cant be started yet.

Thanks to all who are offering support it makes life a bit more bearable for all the displaced people.

After the Storms in 05 Insurance sharks/companys would not insure unless excess of silly money where in place and even then the policys where ridiculously priced.

A lot of people in this area have no insurance for flood, please keep that in mind, Ive been into Cockermouth (5 Miles away) this morning looks like a war zone, The clean up for many homes and shops cant be started yet.

Thanks to all who are offering support it makes life a bit more bearable for all the displaced people.

Thats true before we just sold our house which was next to a small river near caldbeck, was flooded in 2005 & 06 we had to install flood guards on all downstairs windows and doors, cost 6k. Our insurance premiums rocketed and excess wass increased to 4k for any water/flood damage... :thumbdown: When i first saw the earlier post saying alot of people dont have insurance my first thought was what a bunch of idiots but thinking about it my family is lucky that my wife has a good job and my biz is doing well enabling us to pay the insurance fees. So yes feel really sorry for the people in need at the moment and not just for there current predicament but also future problems due to house prices decreasing and huge hikes in insurance premiums, if there is one thing we as an industry can relate to these people is defo the hike in insurance.....

Edited by Arborist Sites