346xp potential

stihlmadasever

Hi all,

Since my problems with my elbows is affecting my usage of bigger saws im lookin at makin my 346xp into an "go to saw" for most of my work so i dont need to lug a big saw around.

My question is just how much could i get out of the 346 if i was to send it too spud to get it ported.

I know it has its limits but would it be comparable with a 461 or 372 ?

Or better?

If i do send it to spud id get the full bhuna and new anti vib mounts aswell.

Opinions and advice is much appreciated

Cheers

It wont be a 372 that is asking a bit much . You wont get the torque from 50cc that you get with 70cc . All I can tell you is my  Spud ported 346 pulls a 15" full chisel driven by an 8 pin powermate rim .  The difference between mine and standard is very noticeable .  My mate picked up mine and I his standard one once when coppicing some Hazel and I thought there was something wrong with the saw until I realized what had happened .

So a ported one would pull an 18" bar but the balance might be a tad of .

Edited by Stubby
  • Thanks 1

Hi

I have a un-modded 346xp & its excellent, can't fault it, feels best (to me) on a 15" bar. I'm sure Spud would get a lot more from it, but cost & the laws of diminishing return limit what is possible - I guess +15% might be achievable without spending too much? I dont know.

As Stubby said, it wont provide 70cc torque, but you'll certainly have a fine saw once done.

Edited by NFG
spelling
  • Like 1

The guy I use to do my work saws did a video of his 346 with a 32" bar just to see how it ran and the only drawback was that really the oiler was not upto it ! Now we know that could not happen every day and would any sensible person want to but no reason why a well done 346 in the hands of a person able to sharpen should not run a 20" well if required ? so a 18" would be a bit of a weapon. A 550 will run a 18" 3/8 in good order if you only have a few "bigger" ones to do, I do keep thinking of having one done.....

This question really is going back to the reason "ported"saws came about smaller/lighter saw = bigger power as has been disscused in a thread a couple of weeks ago, this is a very good example of making life as easy as possible and indeed prolonging your working ability ?

• Like 2