Hi-Viz at work.

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

A heated arguement has ensued on a fellow cyclists FB page concerning the use of Hi-Viz for cyclists and the latest Highway Code stance on it.

Highway code suggests cyclists should take responsibility to make sure they are more visible for drivers, putting the onus of their safety onto the cyclist, the more vulnerable party.

Studies suggest, there is no evidence that Hi-Viz reduces accidents.

What does reduce accidents is better driver awareness.

Now I wholey agree with the driver awareness part but still believe that wearing Hi-Viz helps me stand out whilst cycling on the road in conditions of low visibility..

Wearing Hi-Viz at work.

Climber doesn't really require it, he is not likely to get hit by a branch or if working roadside by any traffic if he is in the tree.

A groundy might not be seen by the climber so easily though through the crown and against the ground.

Groundcrews, who habitually wears Hi-Viz?

My lot do when working on a busy roadside but our t'shirts are quite visible anyway for general work.

Do we wear it because we are conditioned to believe is makes us safer?

Or should our way of working be so safe that Hi-Viz is not a requirement?

What are the arguement for and against wearing of Hi-Viz on our industry?

Ty

For safety in a forestry setting, I think easy visibility is vitally important to maintain easy contact between workers.

Take two cutters working as a mutually supporting pair, when each is keeping tabs on the other what they are looking for when they glance up is that easily spotted orange dot at head height. If they don't see it where they expect they keep looking.

Even for people not needing to wear chainsaw PPE such as tractor drivers, I insist on a bright orange helmet ( :D ), on the other hand I am not keen on baggy high visibility jackets etc, seeing them as a potential danger in their own right. Our company T-shirts and jumpers are dark blue because I think it looks smart but I occasionally wonder if I shouldn't change that.

Additionally, helmets, saws and fuel cans are all tagged with reflective tape. Its a bonus that if something is misplaced it is easily found by just shining a torch around but the reason is, heaven forbid, that this would also apply to helping find a prone casualty.

• Like 1

My company colours are orange polo shirts and sweatshirt so make everyone stand out anyway but have long sleeve hi viz shirts for site works or roadside and jackets to match. For what it realistically costs to dress everyone it looks professional and is in my opinion safer because it won't matter how safe your normal system of work is human nature dictate as some point someone will be distracted and in the wrong place at the wrong time and if they blend into the background are more likely to be unseen so hurt.

• Like 2

There is a Eastern European that habitually rides a pushbike  with no lights or hi viz from town to our village . The first time I encountered him it was a close call as there was a car in front of me and they were turning left down a small lane . As they turned off there he was , all in black , no lights or reflectors , no street lighting as its horses and arable  land .  It was about 7.00 pm and pitch black .  I saw the shopping bag swaying from the handle bars first . I am ready for him now ......if he lives that is .

3 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Stubster,

Would lights alone have sufficed though?

Do you feel Hi-Viz might make this reckless Slavic cyclist less of a risk element?

Ty

A reflector that's a bit better than a Tecso's  bag would help , Hi viz would be a luxury !

• Haha 2