Work positioning using srt

Ty Korrigan

There is only one place to get it from.  You have to buy it from the inventor and sign a disclaimer.

I didn't mean that the manufacturers sold them.

there are plenty of people who have, or have had them.  I think though, they had already made the step to working SRT and were interested.  There was a big fuss about the BDB when it was launched on the treebuz, arbtalk and the treehouse forums.  

But unless you were looking you wouldnt have seen it.  They have been freely available.

I guess some people in the UK would be be excluded from using, such as yourself, due to employment status and emplees having to use CE marked equipment.

The BDB has no CE mark but it is and looks bombproof.  The early zig zags for that matter, had a CE mark and looked like it was made of kit Kat wrappers.

• Like 3

Well... today I set up the climbers DRT line for tomorrow on a knarly old oak whose stem was a mess of ivy and 2m long epicormics.

The new climber was impressed (I'm just the groundy on this job)

Using a heavier 16oz throwbag my recent luck with the throwline paid out again and third shot hit my second choice limb and the bag dropped without too much trouble allowing me to set my SRT outside of the mess on the stem (16m of pure mess)

Took me a couple of minutes to access the crown and another ten to place the climbers cambium saver which required me moving my SRT anchor and fighting crown ivy.

On my way down I shaved off the 'mess' but was anxious all the time as in that mess was a lime green Tachyon not always very visible...

That is my climbing for the week done!

Although I might get the guys to 'rescue' me tomorrow on the SRT system just for practice and to diffuse some of what I learned so far.

Ty

Edited by Ty Korrigan
Spellin...
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Well... today I set up the climbers DRT line for tomorrow on a knarly old oak whose stem was a mess of ivy and 2m long epicormics.

The new climber was impressed (I'm just the groundy on this job)

Using a heavier 16oz throwbag my recent luck with the throwline paid out again and third shot hit my second choice limb and the bag dropped without too much trouble allowing me to set my SRT outside of the mess on the stem (16m of pure mess)

Took me a couple of minutes to access the crown and another ten to place the climbers cambium saver which required me moving my SRT anchor and fighting crown ivy.

On my way down I shaved off the 'mess' but was anxious all the time as in that mess was a lime green Tachyon not always very visible...

That is my climbing for the week done!

Although I might get the guys to 'rescue' me tomorrow on the SRT system just for practice and to diffuse some of what I learned so far.

Ty

cant beat srt for access really quick and fairly easy, what srt system are you using to ascend??  

2 minutes ago, carlos said:

cant beat srt for access really quick and fairly easy, what srt system are you using to ascend??  

Rope wrench and whatever random tress comes to mind at the time.

60m of Tachyon with matching green oval krabs and accessories. 

Ty

2 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Even for non-SRT fans Ty, the benefits of it are obvious in those situations.

Yes, and tomorrow the new 'climber' (read Diva) must perform the sex act of my choice for welching out on todays climb due to 'not fancying it'...

Now he has NO F#####G excuse!

Ty

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 07:39, MattyF said:

Ijust use a side strop like I would Double rope but most of the write ups seem to talk about using two climbing lines for positioning SRT.

Does take a bit of getting used to if your conditioned to climb double rope I think especially coming back in off limbs as your so used to holding half your weight in the rope and pulling your self in that way the whole balance thing feels wrong .. I find coming back in off a long limb that if I clip on my tending tether it helps drops rope slack and keep your knots /device where they should be instead of dangling by your knees giving you a lot more comfort.. I think once you get used to it and it clicks you will enjoy it , I spent at least a year transitioning between the two and was doing a lot of Rec climbing at the time.

It's a funny feeling tending your rope in tiny increments as you come in off a branch using SRT as opposed to reeling miles of rope for DRT! 

The weird thing about SRT is you think it's going to be all frantic and complicated but once you get your head around it it's actually a very smooth and uncluttered way to climb. You just have to take a very deliberate, pragmatic attitude up with you!

• Like 2