Work positioning using srt

Ty Korrigan

4 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I barely use srt these days. If I get a big tree ill use it but likely change to ddrt once I'm up there.

For me it's a pain to advance your tip, to the point where ill usually climb up to my anchor and then work the tree srt, complete opposite of most on here.

Does this make sense?

Does this make sense?

It does to me mate! Basically unless you can get a perfect shot with a throwline, you have to advance your TIP on an srt system, which is a pain.

Sometimes it's easier for me to climb up to my anchor how I usually would ddrt, and then work srt from therein. Particularly in large spready trees which are being pruned.

Make sense?
  • Like 1

You can advance your TIP with SRT just as easily by choking a crab.
You could always grow a set and try it.

Yeah, but for me that would involve:

Setting a throwline.

Pulling my rope through.

(Possible repeat steps one and two depending on if my rope comes through and if its caught over a smaller branch above where I thought my line was)

Ascending

Finding somewhere to strop on

Getting my base tie undone.

Explaining how to undo my base tie.

Pulling 15m of slack through a wrench (massive pain)

Then advancing to my TIP, except I have to use ascenders for a 4m journey.

It would help if I was shit hot with a throwline, but most clients aren't happy to pay me for 1 hour dicking about with a throwline and a further 3 hours crying in the van.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Big shot mate , and use a tip tie easy to isolate a limb if you hit good target and play with a 16oz bag on the other end to get a nice line route.. I only use base anchors if the tie in looks dodge or I could not get in where I wanted and will usually go in for a tip tie unless it’s just for a couple of branches.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

It does to me mate! Basically unless you can get a perfect shot with a throwline, you have to advance your TIP on an srt system, which is a pain.

Sometimes it's easier for me to climb up to my anchor how I usually would ddrt, and then work srt from therein. Particularly in large spready trees which are being pruned.

Make sense?

I’ll take your word for it Joe, I have zero knowledge of srt apart from what I read on here.

Honest to God I rarely feel that I need more movement in a tree, but I’m mostly takedowns.

When I read that people are taking a year to adjust (and some are still not evangelical about it) I figure at 54, why bother?

• Like 1