SamWhiting12

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

Great firewood.
Durable out doors for many years.
Regrows from coppice stool.
Very little sapwood.
And it fed medieval Europe.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

I will give it 4 out of 5 from that list.

In all seriousness is there any way what we have had could be different from your guys , summer/winter cut maybe? I realise summer cut would take longer to dry but might it burn differently? I have burnt some at home and it goes but gives off little heat.

Reckon you boys must be growing so talking it up :thumbup:

• Haha 1

Wet wood won't warm you.
Been burning s.chestnut for the last 30+ years.
Good in a burner after one year.
Stops spitting after two years indoor seasoning.
Dries and grows quicker than oak, nearly the same calorific value. Much easier to cut and split as well.
[emoji12]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Wet wood won't warm you.
Been burning s.chestnut for the last 30+ years.
Good in a burner after one year.
Stops spitting after two years indoor seasoning.
Dries and grows quicker than oak, nearly the same calorific value. Much easier to cut and split as well.
emoji12.png

We  always dry it hence me grizzling about how long it takes.

No way is at as heavy as oak when dry or do you mean kWh per kg? Handbook of hardwoods has the dry weight of Sweet chestnut at 540kg/m3 and oak at 670kg/m3. 

31 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

We  always dry it hence me grizzling about how long it takes.

No way is at as heavy as oak when dry or do you mean kWh per kg? Handbook of hardwoods has the dry weight of Sweet chestnut at 540kg/m3 and oak at 670kg/m3. 

That's right it is fairly light and uninspiring as a firewood but its main attribute is that it doesn't rot or get affected by other bugs, so it will keep for a few years in the stack whereas birch, sycamore and ash have to be split and used the by following season

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

That's right it is fairly light and uninspiring as a firewood but its main attribute is that it doesn't rot or get affected by other bugs, so it will keep for a few years in the stack whereas birch, sycamore and ash have to be split and used the by following season

Hooray I am not alone on this. Mind you I am a grumpy old bu@@er tonight and going to disagree with you about ash xD.

I find that ash lasts remarkably well in the stack in spite of it being a non durable timber. Doing a job for someone on Saturday where the the wood was at least 2 years in the stack. The beech was on the turn and birch well we all know what birch is like and could have got the saw through it even if hadn't been running but the ash was pretty much perfect. Oh and the chestnut was still sopping wet.

Edited by Woodworks
  • Haha 1