Climbers death - kick back.

richy_B

5 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I think , Bolt , its cos if you slip with a leaf blower it wont chop yr arm off ! 

But that's EXACTLY my point.

A leaf blower qual?

What an utter waste of NPTC / Lantra committee time.

Was that REALLY the most pressing need of our industry that day?

Don't think so.

Edited by Bolt
  • Like 2

Whenever I read of these terrible accidents I always think back to my 39 course and think that part of the course should have an “anatomy or breakdown of a top handled chainsaw kickback accident”. There is enough detail and information out there to put a training item together.

• Like 1

But that's EXACTLY my point.

A leaf blower qual?

What an utter waste of NPTC / Lantra committee time.

Was that REALLY the most pressing need of our industry that day?

Don't think so.

I'd be into leaf blower ticket if part of the training included firing it Into your open mouth test

12 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I think , Bolt , its cos if you slip with a leaf blower it wont chop yr arm off ! 

Sorry Kriss, I may have misinterpreted your point.

Is it that you think we get leaf blower training but not (proper) 'topper' training because leaf blowers present little business business to the assessment organisation, but they don't want to chance a hot potato like an 020, because they see some 'court time' potential?

If that is the case, I don't really think our industry, and the youngsters who are entering it, are really being served that well. 

4 minutes ago, billpierce said:

I'd be into leaf blower ticket if part of the training included firing it Into your open mouth test

Also needs to include:

Swivel office chair / child's swing

Methods to cool you chainsaw trousers down in summer

walking like a Ghostbuster

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I think , Bolt, it is exactly that - on paper a rear-handled lil 026 works up a tree , but the extra risk of assessing with a 'green' climber on a 'top handled ' saw is probably too much for some K

well, if we don't get our act together, maybe stupid little 'rear handers' will be all we have left available.

At that point, I either go 'black opps' or I quit.  :-)

Edited by Bolt

well, if we don't get our act together, maybe stupid little 'rear handers' will be all we have left available.

At that point, I either go 'black opps' or I quit.  :-)

I bought a backhandle ms201 from a tree surgeon who said all his lads use them in the tree as he reckons it's loads safer.....id never even considered not using a top handle til then

Regardless of the whys or wherefores, a number of lads have recently set out to work in the morning, to do something no more challenging than we do everyday, and have not gone home to their parents / wives/ girlfriends / kids.

It seems a crying shame, and my heart goes out to all those involved.

I am not convinced that simply telling people not to do something (when we ALL know that that thing is being done on a daily basis) is really working, is it?

It doesn't hurt our industry to take a little introspective contemplation of ourselves, and consider if we (as in our industry) really are 'the best that we can be'.

Collectively, I give us 4/10.  That is for steadfastly looking the other way.

Edited by Bolt

This is a a tragic and needless death. I have got a little slack recently with the odd cut but I climbed for nearly 10 years without one handing. Yes that is right. Without one handing at all. A step cut is not hard, you don’t need to cut and hold. A friend from college died just three months out of college at 21 and it really affected me. You just don’t need to one hand at all. I think it is a cultural thing. Every one rushing to get the job done to squeeze some money out of a cheap quote. Why? Do you often see other trades rushing about like a lot of us do? When will we all learn?! I for one am going to go back to not one handing at all. It is easily possible. Not even hard to do.

• Like 5