Heavy reduction on beech tree

Steve Bullman

Today’s job, neighbours had a tree surgery company in and basically sided this Beech tree back to the boundary, right up to the tips.  Our job was to make the most of the tree we could by giving it a 5-6 meter reduction and balancing the sides best as possible.  Not sure if there was a better option, probably not.

F712AA8F-9792-4201-91D4-16F8C9731587.jpeg

Thanks to the previous tree surgeons who left me some lovely pegs to stand on, making my life that little bit easier.

AC5268D0-D2CC-47A3-914D-CFE567426906.jpeg1BBEA19F-836E-442E-8F33-3E6AADAD0FB2.jpeg26A65AF2-F0E8-4D6C-A7A6-A37CCE700DB5.jpegA9C4C793-739F-40E7-8930-F7DEDF0A9724.jpeg

Didn't come out too bad all things considered.

692D4F68-6D64-4FA3-9D99-237DF54F434B.jpegA9763F3D-D8F9-4851-B52E-BD56FDBCB33E.jpegB29BC62B-E003-45C8-A614-7126B041FA50.jpeg

Front of the tree looks entirely different from the rest.

1A6715E4-CD10-4618-B44C-27CBE544594A.jpeg

Would you have done anything different?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, carlos said:

what do you think about the size of some of those cuts? looks quiet chunky in terms of future decay? just asking as i have a heavy beech reduction coming up.

thanks carl.

Not ideal but in the circumstances it was probably necessary.  The largest cut was about 8" so not massive really.  As long as the tree is managed from this point on then I don't see a massive issue.  Its when they are let go and end up with long over extended regrowth that it becomes a problem

• Like 1

Good rescue Steve.  On many other trees those pegs would not cause a problem but as you know (otherwise you wouldn't have created this post) Beech will struggle to active dormant buds, so the likelihood is multiple dead pegs and future points of decay.

However, I watched a team doing something similar to the whole crown of a mature Beech in Midhurst a good 10-12 years ago and after struggling for 3-4 years, it now looks great. I had written it off, but it defied all I had been taught.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex O said:

Really good reduction Steve good save on a nice tree it still shocks me that in this day an age people get away with doing that to trees and get paid for it. I would of done exactly the same or walked away from the job if the customer wanted different

+1

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Good rescue Steve.  On many other trees those pegs would not cause a problem but as you know (otherwise you wouldn't have created this post) Beech will struggle to active dormant buds, so the likelihood is multiple dead pegs and future points of decay.

However, I watched a team doing something similar to the whole crown of a mature Beech in Midhurst a good 10-12 years ago and after struggling for 3-4 years, it now looks great. I had written it off, but it defied all I had been taught.

over the course of 20 years I have carried out all sorts of work to all varieties of trees for various reasons, and seen the trees go on to thrive.  Its nice to do textbook tree work, but in a service industry its not always possible, and the results aren't all doom and gloom like some people would tell you.  Just my experience.

• Like 7