Alternative ways to structure a tree business?

Dan

On 10/11/2017 at 20:54, Joe Newton said:

Same, I keep everything I need in my truck. Who I'm working for and what I'm doing dictates what I bring. I don't charge extra for my big saws, unless the company doesn't have their own. I just know mine will be sharp and well maintained. Terror saws get used for the last couple of metres though.

I take a full maintenance and sharpening kit everywhere. It's amazing how some places won't even have a combi spanner sometimes.

I Luke my rigging kit as I've got capabilities for stuff like speed lines, controlled zipline, our balancing limbs, which most firms don't have. It makes my life easier.

But why would you provide all that gear for someone else's work when you're only getting paid Labour Only rates? Unless you're charging them £160+ a day, why would you provide them with your own van and rigging gear and saws? Your employer is making a lot of money off you.

I'm on £120 a day, so there's no way I'm providing all that extra stuff (my top handle and a rigging pinto pulley for light stuff is the only extra gear i bring).

3 minutes ago, wjotner said:

But why would you provide all that gear for someone else's work when you're only getting paid Labour Only rates? Unless you're charging them £160+ a day, why would you provide them with your own van and rigging gear and saws? Your employer is making a lot of money off you.

I'm on £120 a day, so there's no way I'm providing all that extra stuff (my top handle and a rigging pinto pulley for light stuff is the only extra gear i bring).

so charge £160 and offer everything :)  Thats another £200 in your pocket each week and unless you are the biggest gear freak ever, you aren't going to be spending £200 a week on new rigging gear!

3 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

so charge £160 and offer everything :)  Thats another £200 in your pocket each week and unless you are the biggest gear freak ever, you aren't going to be spending £200 a week on new rigging gear!

I'd love to mate. But I don't know anyone who'd pay me that. I'm a decent climber, but I've only been doing it 3 and half years and haven't built a good enough reputation yet to get paid that much. I live in Derbyshire, not London, noone gets paid £160 that I know of. £150 max, and thats for really, really experienced and quick climbers.

If I'm wrong, please point me in the direction of someone that would pay that much :) 

I'm not far from you and quite easily charge more than that, often without having to try to hard. I've also worked over your way for very good rates, to cover my travel and time.

I never intended to compromise and work for any less than I charge though. While you're willing to work for less people won't pay you more!

I use my kit where needed as ultimately I know itll work how and when I need it too.

I already explained that bit though.

I'd love to mate. But I don't know anyone who'd pay me that. I'm a decent climber, but I've only been doing it 3 and half years and haven't built a good enough reputation yet to get paid that much. I live in Derbyshire, not London, noone gets paid £160 that I know of. £150 max, and thats for really, really experienced and quick climbers.

If I'm wrong, please point me in the direction of someone that would pay that much [emoji4] 

I pay one of my lasc climbers £170 a day, he's great at what he does and I can make far more using him for the day for the extra cost of hiring him instead of an average climber, the good money's there for really good staff, use em or lose em!

If I'm wrong, please point me in the direction of someone that would pay that much [emoji4] 

I pay one of my lasc climbers £170 a day, he's great at what he does and I can make far more using him for the day for the extra cost of hiring him instead of an average climber, the good money's there for really good staff, use em or lose em!