Alternative ways to structure a tree business?

Dan

I pay one of my lasc climbers £170 a day, he's great at what he does and I can make far more using him for the day for the extra cost of hiring him instead of an average climber, the good money's there for really good staff, use em or lose em!

good man, for 170 he'll likely continue to work for you over other people.
  • Like 1

Here's my  real life experience ... I paid a climber  £ 120  a day for 4-5 yrs ....as and when needed .  Yes  he  helped me out loads  . Many Thanks .

Start time 8.30 ....Finish 4.30 .....Standard 

Although   many a time he was late  turning up to site ? Usually ended up blaming the motorway ? 

Nearly always done by 3 ish  .  Quite often he'd have a beer at ours while watching his team on sky . Plus my lady would make some scooby doo bacon butties which he enjoyed  . Used my chainsaw files and my fuel .

In the end I got sick of him moaning so got rid of the guy in  2015 . Tried  to keep on speaking terms  ...but he wasn't  playing ball  .

So   I'm now back to   full time climbing at 47  ...slower but dam everyone is a load happier . 

Jobs are smoother  and I'm down a stone down in chubb :  )   Plus more dollars for me .

There are some  brilliant climbers out there   ....but also  plenty of walter mittys ... 

a

Edited by White Noise
  • Like 3

We are getting slightly off topic, but it's still interesting.  With regards to paying LOSC more money, it can make total sense.  It is no exaggeration to say that some climbers are twice the speed of others, with good results and no breakages - these guys are worth £180+ a day, surely.  For run of the mill work where your Average Joe is adequate, then £120 should suffice (I know this is low as a wage, but until the industry wakes up to what the rest of the world is charging........)

In terms of structuring a company, I have mulled over various options, and put some in to practice with varying degrees of success (mostly poor!)

Let's play devils advocate.

The raw reality is that my staff and LOSC do not want to work that hours that I do. 

And when they are not taking 'an entrepreneurial risk' why should they get a share of the profits?  The boss is saddled with the finance of kit.  He takes the hit when equipment is broken/stolen/lost.  When a particularly arduous job which has taken lots of planning comes to an end, your head is immediately into the next job.  There is concern about continuity of work and your good health continuing and ultra-planning before taking holidays.  

Is everyone still entitled to the profits??

• Like 3