Price to Stump Grind a Lime Tree

Mark Butland

I have next to no experience with stump grinders so I ask these questions out of genuine curiosity.

From some of the prices quoted on this thread I’m wondering what it is that makes a stump grinding so expensive. £600/£800 for a days work with one bloke and a machine? How much do these machines cost in the first place and what is their useful service lifespan?

Im guessing a scarcity value for the top of the range machine and I get that teeth need replacing but seems quite high compared to say a bloke with a 13 tonner costing £70k and generally between 3-400 a day or myself with a 3 ton machine a lot less again.. same with a tracked chipper- itd have to be some bit of kit- thinking crane fed job to be getting north of £600 a day with one bloke....

On 01/11/2017 at 16:31, Mark Butland said:

Fairly new to this - I've been sent an enquiry for a single tree to stump grind, its approx. 5ft across by 1ft high Lime Tree but with some bricks in it ! Good Access etc. they want to go 1ft under ground level. I've got a Track remote Grinder. Thanks in Advance

Out of interest and for the sake of this forum is there any chance you can find out the price they were charged to remove the tree?

Ok. As per my initial post i am new to this - only a couple of month's in. Yes i bought the tracked grinder for a lot of money but for some reason a lot of people on here have the hump because i should automatically know what to charge because of my purchase ? There wasn't a guide price that came with the machine.  I did post a lot of questions on what to charge but nobody replied. Thankfully i have got in with a couple of tree firms who advised what i should be charging based on other grinders they have used. FYI i have charged £450 for 8 hours work for 60 stumps ranging between 8-24 inch diameter by approx 8 inches high. I have also charged £100 for a large stump 90 inch x 8 inch high taking 1 hour. I thought this site encouraged newbies but there seems resentment that i was fortunate to purchase a remote machine as my first one. As for working out prices there doesn't seem to be a formula that anyone is willing to share ? It seems more like guesswork at the moment. 

Ref £250 lime tree - didn't ask how much to cut down. I'm guessing price wise depends on location ? I'm 30 mile west of London.

• Like 3

Late to the thread, but as a guideline I'll quote around 450-500 a day for man and machine. Usually spec not to remove grinding if possible.

This is based on cost of machine, consumerables like teeth and belts ( expensive and often), vehicle running costs and expected life expectancy. 

Not had much in complaints about the rate.