Do you even lift bro?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you exercise?

• never
    • daily, cardio based
    • daily, weighlifting based
    • every other day, cardio based
    • every other day, weighlifting based
  2. 2. Do you think regular exercise would benefit the average arb worker?

You have to feel your body, it will tell you when it won’t want to lift. Never push when you feel discomfort. Stretch always. Start light end strong. So many let ego do the thinking. 
Very true. I started lifting 15+ years ago so I know my body pretty well and my mind knows my body. Over the years I've learnt what exercises work for me and what don't. ***note to self, don't do the odd hedge cutting job [emoji23]
  • Like 1

At 59 I have never been in a gym but I have worked most of my life outside in either agriculture, woodland or keepering. I have had ACL repairs to both knees, slipped disc and am presently waiting for a new hip. Although I'm told I look fit, I'm generally pretty knackered.:D

The people who determine when you will eventually be allowed to start collecting your pension will probably have never lifted more than briefcase, and probably only get in a sweat when having a w***.   

Look after yourselves guys as age and aches creep up pretty quickly when you have worked outside all your life.

• Like 3

Lifting going quite well generally. Bench up to 115kg before I stopped benching as it was aggravating my bicep tendons. Push press 92.5kg. Bodyweight 117kg.

I've been quite diligently doing a 20 rep squat routine with 2 sets of 20 reps, every four days with lower volume leg work inbetween. Started at 60kg, now on 87.5kg and hoping to be able to grind out 2x20x100kg before changing to a different routine. Took a brief interlude from that today and got a single at 140kg for a pb. Nice to have three plates a side on again. 

Onward and upward!

• Like 1

Onward and upward indeed Big J. Well done on the Pb. Had things on the last few weeks which has thrown my Gym routine out a bit.However apparantly it's not a bad thing to have some time off.Suffered a bit after my first full session back and expected it.Been trying to work out what has benefited me more over the last fifteen months.Becoming T-total or moving weights and come to the conclusion that it's definately a combination of the two.Having a clear head 24/7 has increased my brain power and increased my happiness levels.And i get such a buzz when you feel the blood rushing into your muscles.Gave my triceps a real workout tonight.20180412_202717.jpg

Back into my routine now after four sessions in the Gym last week and quite a few miles on the bicycle.And i shall be there within the hour once i've has my coffee.Feel energised just listening to all the birdsong this morning.Tis fantastic!.Been researching early weightlifters and found this old picture of George Hackenshmidt.apparantly he was the Arnie of his time.20180415_071319.jpg

It's remarkable how 'small' the weighlifters of those times were. That being said, Arnie when he competed is like the natural bodybuilding competitors of the present day. The Mr Universe competitors now are truly huge, but obviously well juiced!

I'm struggling with my tendons in my arms a bit to be honest. It's affecting my sleep mostly as I can't sleep with my arms bent without lasting discomfort. I've cut the pressing right back, which is helping, but it's wearing. 

The squatting is going really well though. Did 2x20x90kg the night before last and feel confident that I'll make the two sets of twenty with 100kg in two weeks time. In my gym, I'm the opposite of almost everyone else. Due to my tendons, I'm not doing much upper body work at the moment, but I just pummel my legs every session. Most folk spend hours curling and doing tricep work and little else.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, silky fox said:

I'm off to do squats now.The tendon thing sounds bad.Do you have a Physio at your Gym?.....On a different point Big J do you do Cardio?

I have a panel of physios! I have a physio I see about once a year when my left ankle seizes up. 15 minutes with him and it's freed and good for another 6-12 months. I have my regular back physio and I've recently started seeing a different physio for my arms. Tight pectoral and bicep tendons seem to be the main issue, but I think I've gained too much strength too quickly. Gone from not training at all to 8x100kg bench in 5 months. Muscle memory was there from before but the tendons are all 10 years older and very much out of condition.

I don't do any cardio presently. I used to compete at time trials as a kid on the road bike (back in 1999, I competed in the same 10 mile national time trial as Mark Cavendish and Nicole Cooke, and warmed up right next to Nicole) but haven't done much cardio since about the age of 21. I stay lean naturally, have a low resting heart rate and am constantly on the move at work so at the moment it's not a priority.

• Like 1