Avoiding Accidents

Darrin Turnbull

1 minute ago, Dan Maynard said:

Is it possible the aim was to stop it skipping around too much after it hit the floor? Looks to me like if there were enough wraps to stop that size piece then the rope would have broken, compare it to the piece Joe broke his sling on the other week.

I was being a fanny by comparison

58 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Are you asking me?

There's plenty of climbers rigging without Cs 41 and pruning without Cs 40 too

No just responding to your post.

The assumption seems to be that ground staff involved in rigging should know their stuff. They should.

Climbers similarly involved should too.

Difference is that non-climbing ground staff don't really have a formal training option. So the onus to train them is on the trained - the climbers.

I know it's not that simple in reality of course I do.

1 minute ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

No just responding to your post.

The assumption seems to be that ground staff involved in rigging should know their stuff. They should.

Climbers similarly involved should too.

Difference is that non-climbing ground staff don't really have a formal training option. So the onus to train them is on the trained - the climbers.

I know it's not that simple in reality of course I do.

I believe there is a ground based rigging course available. Never met anyone that's done it though. 

10 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I believe there is a ground based rigging course available. Never met anyone that's done it though. 

Ah ok - never knew that one existed so I stand corrected! Good to know actually. Thanks Joe.

But I guess the the point I was trying to make is that rigging knowledge for ground staff seems to be fairly random. Most - as we seem to agree - have never done any formal training. That's not to say they need it - nothing wrong with being taught in house or learning by experience. It's just making sure that people are working within their capabilities at the end of it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Ce groupe s'adresse à tous les passionnés d' élagage qui peuvent passer des heures devant le catalogue sda en se pignolant.. . aléluya la bible.

Bad one here, but we can learn from it. Guy lived and is still in the game so I feel ok posting it.