Chainsaw seizing and Aspen fuel

Pureevil222

On 11/7/2017 at 13:29, Jonny69 said:

On a similar note. I have a BG86 little blower in the yard with half a tank of fuel in it, petrol with fully synthetic oil. It can't have been started in the last three years, possibly longer. I found it the other day whilst looking for something else, thought I wonder if that still works'. Three pulls later off it goes, will take it to site this week and finish the tank off to see how I get on. I'm willing it not to seize.

@Jonny69  Curious did it seize?

• 2 weeks later...

An Update... The last time my dad and I were there, we left it so they could put it back together. 

We hadn’t been able to pick it up yet. So  went to get it yesterday and they informed us that they threw it out, it wasn’t worth anything so they tossed it and to have my dad come in so they could make a deal. 

Which I’m assuming would be the same at cost offer or used one for 200$. 

So without calling, they threw it out!

So I’m writing a formal complaint letter to them and to Stihl. 

This is Bull!!! They had no right to throw it out without informing us or telling us to come get it or they will throw it out. 

I am just floored at the service they have given...

• Like 1

I would argue they have no right in throwing something away that is not their property which you also see as evidence, what are they trying to hide. I would threaten legal and maybe go and see a no win no fee solicitor. No deals no discounts a new saw or pursue it legally. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WesD said:

I would argue they have no right in throwing something away that is not their property which you also see as evidence, what are they trying to hide. I would threaten legal and maybe go and see a no win no fee solicitor. No deals no discounts a new saw or pursue it legally. 

@WesD yes! That’s what I will do! 

• Like 1

We cannot really judge this case just from hearing the story told by the OP, however reasonable it sounds. There are always two sides to the story and we have not heard the dealers case, and suspect we never will.

On the issue of very pale coloured Aspen, I had a similar experience with a customer a few years ago. Despite my very comprehensive explanation of what Aspen2 was, the customer still did not quite understand and passed the can of Aspen on to the gardener without any explanation at all.

The gardener assumed the Aspen2 to be some new form of 2 stroke oil and carried on to mix it at 50:1 with petrol. The result was of course an engine siezure.

When I checked the fuel I found it to be petrol with just a hint of yellow and after asking the right questions we got to the bottom of the matter.

• Like 2

To add my experience to this -   Run my saws on aspen 2 for 8 years since moving to Sweden, never had a pot seize on me.  

The problems I have had is that saws that have been run on 2 stroke mix before dont like switching to Aspen type fuels.  The main issues is that it causes the the fuel lines to split. 

This is because the oil in the two stroke mix actually soaks into the plastic/rubber of the lines. The aspen draws this out and causes them to dry and they split.  THis has happened to every uk guy i know who brought their own saw over and switched from mix to Aspen.   

Saw shops over here don't know that this is a problem. They just say you need new pipes and a new carb and charge you for it when in truth you just need a new pipe, and maybe a new diaphragm in the carb and then pick either aspen of mix and stick with it. So far haven't seen it cause problems with cylinders  - in fact Aspen fuel is great as there shouldn't be any risk of their being too much or too little mix.

Even when buying cheaper copycat fuels i haven't had any problems.  The saw shop is out of line for throwing away the saw as a good small engine mechanic could repair it - though if the parts and labour would be worth it on an old saw is another question. 

• Like 2