Chainsaw seizing and Aspen fuel

Pureevil222

The length of the time to seize on poor or lean fuel will depend on the load on the saw. You may get away with revving a saw under no load with little or no oil in the fuel but put it to a large piece of wood with a decent size bar on it then it will seize a damn site quicker due to the load on the saw. I have seen saws rev out and hit decent high revs and then crap out under load due to issues with fuel lines, fuel filters and carb issues. Putting a saw under load will always test it more than free revving.

I guess if you took one of those laser temperature gauges and measured the temperature of the cylinder, the operating temperature under different fuels and conditions could be measured but in short - more load = more temperature!

6 hours ago, Pureevil222 said:

@Daniël Bos The owner told me that it doesn’t take long for it to seize with the neat petrol. 

He also told me they don’t carry neat petrol. But they carry Aspen 4, from my understanding that is a purely synthetic neat petrol. 

I’m now trying to gather all resources to argue with the owner. 

Just as an aside , I could be wrong , but I don't think Aspen 4 is synthetic . As I understand it is taken from the very top of the refinery  and this is a smaller amount than the rest of the fuel , hence its high price . ( less of it per volume and more refined )

• Like 2

I had always believed that seizure would occur within only a few minutes of running on straight petrol until I did a little test

I ran a small strimmer on neat Aspen 4 under full load ( long cord, guard removed). It ran for nearly an hour before it stopped, but it had used a full tank. It restarted after a refuel and ran for a further 10 minutes or so before seizing. A quite amazing test.

I might just try this again with an HS 45 hedgetrimmer that I have in the skip.

Edited by GardenKit
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

@GardenKit this is interesting... Then I wonder why my dads saw seized after a few seconds of running. And was too damaged and is too expensive to fix? 

When he didn’t even have a chance to use it at home before it seized. 

Tank was half full when he brought it home, then went to use it. Poured in the Aspen 2. Wasn’t starting, pushed the cord thing back into place for it to start. (The spark plug starter thing.. long day..) 

Then started it and it seized. 

Did you have a chance to test that out?

On 10/22/2017 at 21:10, GardenKit said:

I had always believed that seizure would occur within only a few minutes of running on straight petrol until I did a little test

I ran a small strimmer on neat Aspen 4 under full load ( long cord, guard removed). It ran for nearly an hour before it stopped, but it had used a full tank. It restarted after a refuel and ran for a further 10 minutes or so before seizing. A quite amazing test.

I might just try this again with an HS 45 hedgetrimmer that I have in the skip.

On a similar note. I have a BG86 little blower in the yard with half a tank of fuel in it, petrol with fully synthetic oil. It can't have been started in the last three years, possibly longer. I found it the other day whilst looking for something else, thought I wonder if that still works'. Three pulls later off it goes, will take it to site this week and finish the tank off to see how I get on. I'm willing it not to seize.

• 4 weeks later...