Cumberland Basin, Bristol

sean

Cumberland Basin, Bristol. This much neglected underbelly situated beneath fly overs and arterial roads linking the city centre to the A4 and A38, is also home to Brunel's first swing bridges. It is now being reclaimed by the local community who have started putting in raised vegetable beds. Plans are afoot to utilise this space for community events, growing spaces, cafe etc.  

DSC_6493.jpg

DSC_6485.jpg

DSC_6489.jpg

DSC_6490.jpg

DSC_6494.jpg

DSC_6495.jpg

DSC_6496.jpg

DSC_6497.jpg

DSC_6498.jpg

DSC_6499.jpg

DSC_6501.jpg

DSC_6502.jpg

DSC_6504.jpg

DSC_6510.jpg

DSC_6511.jpg

DSC_6516.jpg

DSC_6519.jpg

DSC_6526.jpg

DSC_6536.jpg

DSC_6537.jpg

DSC_6541.jpg

DSC_6548.jpg

DSC_6559.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sean said:

It is now being reclaimed by the local community who have started putting in raised vegetable beds.

Sean is this  something to do with "Incredible Edible"? I helped out shifting soil for one near me recently, made me feel guilty not having a vege plot in my ruin of a garden.

Just now, openspaceman said:

Sean is this  something to do with "Incredible Edible"? I helped out shifting soil for one near me recently, made me feel guilty not having a vege plot in my ruin of a garden.

No I don't think so. I did t see any reference to them on the literature I was reading about the plans. 

On 05/09/2017 at 19:44, Rough Hewn said:

In the last photo,
Directly underneath the tower by the river is a short railway tunnel built by Brunel. We used to go raving there in the early 90s. I believe the rails and walls were painted UV back then. emoji106.png

Excellent.