Farm saw recommendations

Keep_flying

3 hours ago, Keep_flying said:
4 hours ago, gary112 said:
What about a Husky 545 its 50cc and just under 400 quid

Was just looking at it actually and trying to figure out what the difference is?

If you mean the difference between a 545 and a 560 there are some differences , carb I think and no crank stuffers  but the main one , I recon , is no " rev boost "  not a big deal really .

• Like 1

If you mean the difference between a 545 and a 560 there are some differences , carb I think and no crank stuffers  but the main one , I recon , is no " rev boost "  not a big deal really .
Sorry no I was comparing the 450 and the 545. Slight difference in power, noise and chain speed but otherwise don't know.

Just now, Keep_flying said:
3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Sorry no I was comparing the 450 and the 545. Slight difference in power, noise and chain speed but otherwise don't know.

Actually I was thinking of the 555 so ignore my drivel !

2 hours ago, Keep_flying said:
2 hours ago, Stubby said:

The 545 is the same platform as the 550xp but with less rpm ..no rev boost ..no full circle crank stuffers ..all orange body ..BUT.. still a auto tune saw. Think of it as a De Tuned 550 xp.

The 450e is a different platform and grade of saw altogether (lower)  and is not  auto tune.

Edited by Sawchip
  • Like 2

On 9/5/2017 at 14:14, Daniël Bos said:

How did you decide your budget?

You've decided you need a tool, based presumably in a series of tasks you need to perform. The tasks will dictate what size saw you need. That should dictate the budget?

Seems odd to me to go about this the other way around?

"I need a new vehicle to drag a big trailer, drive through muddy fields. My budget buys a kia rio....."

That is very sound advice from Daniel.

I found myself in a similar situation, trying to scrape enough pennies together to get all the PPE gear + training.... it really adds up to alot of dosh.

The way I got over this was by doing the first 12 months on the farm just using a Silky Natanoko 330 (hand saw), which bought me enough time to save extra money and get a chainsaw I needed to cover all eventualities (instead of what I could just afford).

I'm not saying you should be felling big trees with a Silky.... but it can help you get by for a while - I did a huge amount of work with mine and without regrets.

cheers, steve

On 05/09/2017 at 15:14, Daniël Bos said:

How did you decide your budget?

You've decided you need a tool, based presumably in a series of tasks you need to perform. The tasks will dictate what size saw you need. That should dictate the budget?

Seems odd to me to go about this the other way around?

"I need a new vehicle to drag a big trailer, drive through muddy fields. My budget buys a kia rio....."

I agree, it appears the tail is wagging the dog.

However, a Dolmar 420 from Shavey might fit the bill, although an Echo 620sx or Husqvarna 365xt is probably better suited for your needs.

What ever you get run it in Aspen if its going to get left idle as theres enough 'stale fuel wrecked my...' threads already.

N

• Thanks 1

Don't buy makita they are garbage. I blew mine up in a week. They don't like running all day apparently Its just couldn't handle carving. I know your not carving but I bought it just to dip my toe into the world of chainsaws stihl will see you right my 038 farm boss is older than me and still runs nicely