Farm saw recommendations

Keep_flying

Spruce pirate has a point.
If your saw don't start one day, how far do you have to go to the dealer?
What's your local dealer like?
Sounds like you'll be busy in the woods, what about chains,bars,sprockets etc?

Aside from that I'd recommend upping the budget to a stihl 461/2
As a great all round saw,
Will cope with ease.
3/8 chain won't blunt as fast as .325
Crosscutting will be faster and you won't have to cut larger wood from 2 sides.
But if there's a really cool dealer for husky/Makita 10 minutes away I'd probably go with them.

Some good comments for you think about which ever small saw you get you'll always want too cut more than you where planning for , but which ever you opt for run good fuel and top grade two stroke oil 
and keep its gills clean 

Yes seen a few mentions of different fuels, guess not just the stuff from Tesco's [emoji6] was originally looking at a husky 435 which seemed great value for 250 quid but I'm guessing a bit of a DIY machine so pushed the budget to 400. I'm reluctant to go more but a 550 for £500 would I suppose always be up to the job. Bit worrying though having to double the budget
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 17:04, Keep_flying said:

Afternoon everyone, going to do one of those which is best posts everyone loves so much.

So I've got £400 to spend on a saw that will need to do pretty much everything. After some prompting I was looking at the Stihl ms271 but on reading some (old) discussion here about Husqvarna 346 or 550 thought I'd ask the experts.

It will need to do some felling, maintenance work in a 10 acre woodland we have, mostly logging, general farm work and of course get dragged into chopping up anything over 3 or 4" diameter.

As with most farm tools it'll spend the vast majority of its life in a shed and then be expected to start first pull.

So there you go, I've probably committed some horrible chainsaw etiquette fopar so please forgive me but all advice gratefully received.

Cheers

A few points in context of your choice.....

1) ..As you say you are not going to give this saw "commercial  use" then your choice to discount any given make of saw  "perhaps" should not be made based on  results "purely" from Pro users who can put more hard Hrs on a saw in a month than you might in a Yr. A broad feedback of results may be useful.

2)..For you maybe theres good logic in going for the more simple designs of saw and the most you can possibly stretch to ...and then a little more ...if you want a longer life span.

3)..Simple = the chance for "YOU" to do running maintenance for this ...expected "out of a shed and start up first pull" as well as less main dealer Tech needed to plug in and diagnose.

4)..Sharp chains are your and the saws friend !!!!!!!!!!

5)..Get your fuel mix and time of storage right...no keeping fuel raw or mixed for months on end !

6)..Think about a good secondhand saw...more for less if you can be sure of its condition.

One other thing...Makita are Dolmar's ..parent company.. since 1991...Dolmar are "Still" very much a saw designer / maker in there own right in Hamburg Germany. "Some" lower spec saws in the range  "Could be assembled " in a Makita/Dolmar owned plant other than Hamburg...these are not low quality saws ether!.   Makita  have more recently started to come up with designs themselves in Japan.

Hope you find something you are happy with.  

Edited by Sawchip

How did you decide your budget?

You've decided you need a tool, based presumably in a series of tasks you need to perform. The tasks will dictate what size saw you need. That should dictate the budget?

Seems odd to me to go about this the other way around?

"I need a new vehicle to drag a big trailer, drive through muddy fields. My budget buys a kia rio....."

How did you decide your budget?
You've decided you need a tool, based presumably in a series of tasks you need to perform. The tasks will dictate what size saw you need. That should dictate the budget?

Seems odd to me to go about this the other way around?
"I need a new vehicle to drag a big trailer, drive through muddy fields. My budget buys a kia rio....."

The budget was decided by how much money I've got basically and besides there are many many saws of similar spec that vary wildely in price. The question is rather how am I best to spend my available funds to perform said task.
To extend your car comparison, there are many people in the world pulling big trailers across muddy fields but only a few doing it with Landcruisers & Rangerovers and many with metaphorical Kia's, mud tyres and chains.
  • Like 1