Do I become more employable by having my own climbing gear?

Kyle_haynes

If your green it makes no odds to us. You'll drag brash for a year, pull takes or dig mulch circles, if your the karate kid you will get it.

Just my opinion.

To an extent I agree, qualifications and college learning are a start, with that you can join a firm to learn the job properly.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get this approach myself, brew bitch and brash dragging for a year hardly sets the bar high for an enthusiastic youngster wanting to learn the trade.

Each to their own mind.

It proves dedication in my eyes, and everyone has to understand the monotony that can be involved in tree work and the importance of every role. A lot can be learnt from being a groundie, good rope management, rigging, site prep and planning and observing. If you have got it you will watch learn ask the right question and get your opertunity.

Not many companies can afford to put inexperienced climbers straight into the tree, it takes time and investment to train a climber dedication is everything even with the dull stuff.

The hardest part is finding a good company to work for that show you good healthy work practices.

It proves dedication in my eyes, and everyone has to understand the monotony that can be involved in tree work and the importance of every role. A lot can be learnt from being a groundie, good rope management, rigging, site prep and planning and observing. If you have got it you will watch learn ask the right question and get your opertunity.

Not many companies can afford to put inexperienced climbers straight into the tree, it takes time and investment to train a climber dedication is everything even with the dull stuff.

The hardest part is finding a good company to work for that show you good healthy work practices.

Dragging brash, pulling stakes and digging mulch circles sounds very different to your last post.

I know what you mean but you also have to keep things interesting so newbies want to learn i.e. as you say rope management and rigging etc. Even tasks such as creating risk assessment, logging up or felling a stick. Being disciplined and learning all aspects is very different to being used and becoming bored.

Dragging brash, pulling stakes and digging mulch circles sounds very different to your last post.

I know what you mean but you also have to keep things interesting so newbies want to learn i.e. as you say rope management and rigging etc. Even tasks such as creating risk assessment, logging up or felling a stick. Being disciplined and learning all aspects is very different to being used and becoming bored.

Ha yes, I rather be brutally honest with people if you want to be good at this job you have to start at the bottom, even if you did that fast track course and have all your climbing tickets - prepare them for the worst if they still smile at the prospect and get stuck in you've got real talent.

We are also uniques because we don't employ groundies everyone is a climber or will be and all are very good climbers, it's an expensive team/s to run but personally wouldn't have it any other way.

Ha yes, I rather be brutally honest with people if you want to be good at this job you have to start at the bottom, even if you did that fast track course and have all your climbing tickets - prepare them for the worst if they still smile at the prospect and get stuck in you've got real talent.

We are also uniques because we don't employ groundies everyone is a climber or will be and all are very good climbers, it's an expensive team/s to run but personally wouldn't have it any other way.

Fair play

Same here Marc.

We are true professionals.1a7310faad38b7dc9d30287f079e0950.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

If your green it makes no odds to us. You'll drag brash for a year, pull takes or dig mulch circles, if your the karate kid you will get it.

Just my opinion.

By "Us" is it the company you own or do you work for a Company?

Is it a policy you have decided or one that your Boss as implemented?

It might be the way English people construct sentences,I find it hard to know.

Don't get this approach myself, brew bitch and brash dragging for a year hardly sets the bar high for an enthusiastic youngster wanting to learn the trade.

Each to their own mind.

The best climbers I've seen are the ones who have had a good stint as a groundy , personally I think it should be compulsory to do at least one year of ground work before you are let in a harness , too many tits out there who known it all and know nothing... if your working on the ground especially in big production gangs you will witness a whole range of styles of climbing good and bad and learn a lot more about basic saw maintenance , rigging and rope management making it a lot easier to join the dots after your basic climbing courses and saw tickets to really excel with out making to many costly or dangerous mistakes .., just my opinion though.

The best climbers I've seen are the ones who have had a good stint as a groundy , personally I think it should be compulsory to do at least one year of ground work before you are let in a harness , too many tits out there who known it all and know nothing... if your working on the ground especially in big production gangs you will witness a whole range of styles of climbing good and bad and learn a lot more about basic saw maintenance , rigging and rope management making it a lot easier to join the dots after your basic climbing courses and saw tickets to really excel with out making to many costly or dangerous mistakes .., just my opinion though.

I get that hence my later posts with Marc but the way he initially put it "dragging brash pulling stakes and digging mulch circles" is not learning how to be a groundy it's boring and being treated like a brew bitch.

We all want to learn and I agree learning in phases is the way forward but wanting to work and learn is different to being used and abused. Lads will go elsewhere to learn and be part of a good crew after all they want to join a tree gang not the army!