Using personal truck for work...What's a fair price?

MW Tree Services

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been asked to use my d max for work, driving around and to fields and towing a 14ft ifor (weighed in at 6.5t over the bridge!)

The gov website says 45p/ mile but what do you think is fair for this?

If it's all day every day, well, you know, your vehicle is "necessary" for the workings of the job pretty much every day, why not look up the daily hire rate for a 4x4 (maybe adjust to allow for 6 or 12 month contract term rates) then you'll know what cash "value" your vehicle brings to the operation and have a representation of the "saving" the boss is achieving by using YOUR vehicle.

Then you'll know how to pitch your "I'll use my truck, but it's at X£ per day."

Maybe meet in the middle, everyone wins?

I'm working for someone for the summer, using my own truck. It's full time so not just the odd mile here and there.

Well they only pay 40p, got finance insurance and all that to pay out of my own pocket.

Rather have it parked up anyway and not have the sh*t beaten out of it..especially if they are only covering the fuel, but it's hard to work out.

I personally think you hold the cards here! If they want you plus truck they need to pay a decent rate. However if you "need" the work then it swings back in their favour!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Been asked to use my d max for work, driving around and to fields and towing a 14ft ifor (weighed in at 6.5t over the bridge!)

The gov website says 45p/ mile but what do you think is fair for this?

Sorry but that's ridiculous! It's not just fuel they need to cover, if you're towing then it's wear and tear on the clutch and gear box, plus discs and break pads and then there's the damaging of bodywork which needs to be recovered! Doesn't sound fair to me.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

if your doing 100 a day then you are losing £5 a day!

Swings & Roundabouts

I'm in Essex & working on LUL so can be as little as 60 miles or sometimes 120

But Iv also got 3 guys in the van at a fiver a night 😏

Towing a heavy truck is going above and beyong the remit of 45p a mile IMO.

As was said earlier, look up the hire cost of a similar vehicle and charge that. If whoever you are working for doesn't have the kit for the job, they should be pricing accordingly to cover the hire....not taking advantage of others for their gain.

your happy with 6.5t on the back then ? wear on clutch suspension etc not to mention the dreaded vosa but even if it's just over a few fields when it goes bang it ain't going to be cheap .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

No I'm not happy with that weight, that's why I weighed it! I think 45p /mile on motorways and salesmen driving on roads is good however as Steve said I think it's over and above of reasonable expectations..