Termination of Pollarding street trees.

sean

What's the geology in Bristol? Is there much cley around the streets?

I do the occasional mortgage report in Bristol. Working off the geological survey maps much of the bedrock is sandstone but there are quite large areas of Mercia Mudstone which can be shrinkable.

Cheers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for my LA and id say 30-40% of our winter work is limes,epicormic,canopy lift,prunes and pollards.

I cant imagine how those trees are going to look in a couple of years

Seriously? You can't imagine? Bit bigger I'm guessing:001_smile:

Good tree management results in fewer subsidence claims and no fatalities or personal injuries for falling trees or parts of trees. So if there's no problems with trees you don't need to allocate funds to them on the balance sheet!

A prosecution by the HSE for a death due to poor risk management or a sharp rise in subsidence claims will prove that good tree management costs money.

Good tree management results in fewer subsidence claims and no fatalities or personal injuries for falling trees or parts of trees. So if there's no problems with trees you don't need to allocate funds to them on the balance sheet!

A prosecution by the HSE for a death due to poor risk management or a sharp rise in subsidence claims will prove that good tree management costs money.

Costs money, but saves more.

They are allaying fears that full tree inspection programmes will still be in place. How they are going to inspect the base of Lime trees and possible fruiting bodies with a few years Epi growth though is beyond me.:confused1:

You could pollard every 7/8 years and it would not cost double what a 3/5 year pollard would cost.

Sure they'd be increased risk, but a more stringent felling program for anything remotely dodgy could alleviate that.

If you look at the photo I posted at the beginning of the thread though Mick. Those trees and many like them are on 2/3 year pollard cycles. By the 2nd year they are already encroaching on properties. another year or 2 and they will whacking against windows and damaging fascia boards, gutters, wires etc etc

What absolute moronic lunacy , I hope they get sued for millions when one does fail and they see how much money they have saved.

Let's hope the contractors who do the surveys have the sense to pull out as well although undoubtedly some chump will jump in and do it for peanuts any way... very glad to be out of public sector tree work , it is done for!