which wood stove - again sorry

david wood

I agree the build quality is better on the Clearview but it comes at a substantial cost. I see lots of Woodwarms and they always work well with a big financial saving over the Clearview.

Parents are on a Burley at present but it's a fussy little so and so and not as well made as the Woodwarms.

Yep agreed, the Clearviews are pricey, also supposedly not a nice company to deal with!

You can pick them up at a fair discount if you shop around (Exeter Stove & Chimneys are keen).

Can you actually damp the burn down on a Burley, have always found them difficult to control (DEFRA Clean Air Act issue no doubt!!)

Craig

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep agreed, the Clearviews are pricey, also supposedly not a nice company to deal with!

You can pick them up at a fair discount if you shop around (Exeter Stove & Chimneys are keen).

Can you actually damp the burn down on a Burley, have always found them difficult to control (DEFRA Clean Air Act issue no doubt!!)

Craig

I find the control of the Burley simple . There are only 2 controls , the air slide and the door itself . The door has a "partly open a crack " catch on the handle for initial start up . This heats the flu . After a few mins shut the door completely ,run it up with the air slide fully open until the stove body is at the temp you require ( usually when the stove top fan starts turning ) then slide the air control back to what works best for your draw on your flu . Mine is about a quarter open but it will depend on how good the draw on your flu is Mine will roar if over half way . In the morning scoop out some of the ash to reveal the glowing embers/charcoal . pop on some kindling and away it goes again . :001_smile:

On the back of the stove is the vent for the smokeless zone . I have mine open and do all the controlling with the air slide on the front but you can have that rear vent shut . its just a plate and a screw holding it .

Edited by Stubby

I agree the build quality is better on the Clearview but it comes at a substantial cost. I see lots of Woodwarms and they always work well with a big financial saving over the Clearview.

Parents are on a Burley at present but it's a fussy little so and so and not as well made as the Woodwarms.

They are definitely expensive. Think mine was around £1600 just for the stove in Golden Fire Brown.

Don't burnt anything other than wood in it seen as all my woods free. I know someone else with the same stove and he puts those anthracite nugget things in it for over night burning. You can get it to stay in overnight with wood but just takes a bit of practice

The key to morning after embers is;

(i) virtually any hardwood

(ii) pref unsplit of say 6" to 9" thick section, and as long as one can squeeze in.

Set the block in on the dying fire or embers(depending on how dry it is)

Walk away.

Ergo I keep back suitable chunks for this job.

Wow tons of info here to look at, thanks.

kw i guess 6 plus at miniumum as want to leave doors open and let heat flow, perhaps an ecofan?

bigger logs good along with stove efficiency i guess is hugely important as longer it will stay lit.

some reading ahead i reckon.

thats a good point,

Have a stovax where i live currently and it has 2 settings really - slumber and wide open so when sweep comes its nice and clean.

kind of got in my head a big stove on tickover all day be fine, but actually may result in a tarred up flue.... hmm

No point in running with doors open, as the heat is only sucked up the flue with the excess air.

TBH I find the cast iron mass of the Morso allows for short hot clean burns, and intervening periods of re-radiated heat from the cast iron, and the walls behind.

And in that respect better slightly oversized than under, i.e simply fire less often..

Also the first thing I look at is the weight of the stove, heavier is better, other things being equal.

BTW our flue has not been cleaned in 20 years and still as clean as a whistle.

P.S.

I incorporated a 4" duct below the subfloor to the corner where the new woodstove is going, since the newbuild extension is so airtight.

keep it simple.