Amey are employing bouncers in Sheffield!

inthewoods

35 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Not just the Spanish wielding the heavy arm of the law to suppress freedom of expression then....

Putting aside the rights or wrongs of the implementation of the Sheffield PFI, I'm all for this. This fellows actions are typical of the 'I want what I want' brigade. The tree works that are being undertaken have been deemed legal in, I believe, the High Court. The lads on the tools are turning up to the site and jokers like this are doing everything possible to prevent them, even putting themselves in harms way. 

I've spoken to a couple of lads employed in Sheffield, and apparently these protestors are being 'encouraged' to leave in some parts of the city by the local residents, so they're not representing the population, just part of it, but STAG has become a very vocal minority and maybe aren't the popularly supported organization that the media would like to portray.

Nothing is stopping his freedom of expression, as long as he expresses outside of the workzone and he doesn't prevent or inhibit anyone going about their lawful business.

• Like 1

I can see how pruning the big trees is now too expensive with other things needing the money too, but if people genuinely feel that the trees are the most important thing, then it is up to them if they want to try to stop it - in the extreme case they may feel that the law is irrelevant and wrong. Sometimes laws can be made which people feel are bad and they will risk their lives in revolution. Keeping the status quo by accepting the rule of law is ok unless you genuinely feel the lawmakers are in the wrong. Nazi Germany probably legalized a lot of stuff and any germans wanting to protest were then criminals.

I mean if a minority think the trees should stay and the roads be closed to traffic, they are entitled to start a revolution and even if they are killed by the armed forces they would have at least tried to start an urban forest community because they believed in it with all their hearts.

There is no right or wrong - only organisms in the environment

The worst thing about the bloke who got the fine and suspended sentence is hes been unemployed for a few years and the taxpayer has been funding his protests - bloody parasite, must have been some menial job in a big city for him.

Edited by tree-fancier123

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

Putting aside the rights or wrongs of the implementation of the Sheffield PFI, I'm all for this. This fellows actions are typical of the 'I want what I want' brigade. The tree works that are being undertaken have been deemed legal in, I believe, the High Court. The lads on the tools are turning up to the site and jokers like this are doing everything possible to prevent them, even putting themselves in harms way. 

I've spoken to a couple of lads employed in Sheffield, and apparently these protestors are being 'encouraged' to leave in some parts of the city by the local residents, so they're not representing the population, just part of it, but STAG has become a very vocal minority and maybe aren't the popularly supported organization that the media would like to portray.

Nothing is stopping his freedom of expression, as long as he expresses outside of the workzone and he doesn't prevent or inhibit anyone going about their lawful business.

It's a tough one Gary.  Much to consider on both sides I think.

Freedom of expression is a wonderful thing.....  According to the Suffrajets :crazy:

Not sure what the Suffrajets have to do with it:001_tt2:

I've been following this for a couple of years and I'm still sitting on the fence. Bill Anderson wrote a really good piece, which I think was in an AA publication or a magazine somewhere, which put a lot into perspective. IMO, there are faults on both sides. The need for the work is there, Amey and the LA have handled it badly and some of STAGS actions leave a lot to be desired. 

Once thing that is really apparent is whose side the media are generally on, which has tended to create a biased view to most people. 

download.jpg

1770441.jpg

Edited by Gary Prentice

2 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Not sure what the Suffrajets have to do with it

It was the first example that came to mind of that which might be considered by some, as a historical lesson which we might take when attempting to rationalise protest / civil unrest which transgresses the current law.  

I mean, at the time, the Suffrajets were considered by many, certainly the 'system / establishment' as despicable, subversive, criminal activists yet here we are today, (hopefully) recognising the ludicrous inequity of excluding +/- 50% of the nation's population from expressing a democratic choice.   

That said, I do recognise, and share, the concern that he (or she) who shouts the loudest seems to expect the biggest effect.  Not always the best way to proceed - but, where 'the people' become so helplessly disengaged from the system (ALA Sheffield council), drastic times call for drastic measures (ALA Suffrajets!)  

16 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Not sure what the Suffrajets have to do with it:001_tt2:

I've been following this for a couple of years and I'm still sitting on the fence. Bill Anderson wrote a really good piece, which I think was in an AA publication or a magazine somewhere, which put a lot into perspective. IMO, there are faults on both sides. The need for the work is there, Amey and the LA have handled it badly and some of STAGS actions leave a lot to be desired. 

Once thing that is really apparent is whose side the media are generally on, which has tended to create a biased view to most people. 

download.jpg

Ah bugger!  Just seen the typo!!  :001_tt2:

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 19:21, Khriss said:

Amey have a bad rep on their PR and am not suprised by this - basically money grabbing on a PFI contract that aint going well , K

agree its a PR disaster, not to sure on the money grabbing bit as the money paid out can easily taken back by the authority if targets and contractual obligations are not met as part of the PFI