Mini Artic

donnk

Hows that work on a car license then?

You said in your first post you believe you are limited to 12t GTW?

Now you're back to 7.5tonner with trailer, not a 3.5t and 5th wheel?

I am equally confused , perhaps Richie ( Justme) could add some clarity. This subject is interesting but these weights/entitlements go against anything I know to be legal.

Bob

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

O licence is only for vehicles ABOVE 3.5ton, this isnt.

Same as its not required for a disco towing 3.5 ton or a transit towing 1 ton etc etc still not required. Tacho is different story but again we are exempt.

Its easy to get a 10.5 ton train weight 3.5 tonner new, just have to order it new! Added the original flyer from iveco above where they were selling them. Niche market, limited people with BE licences I guess and no one knows about it or they would shift a lot more as it would keep people legal for cheap compared to the alternatives.

It IS over 3500kg as soon as you add a trailer. Vehicle in this definition INCLUDES the trailer weight.

The reason a disco does not need it is due to an exemption for dual purpose vehicles not its weight.

The transit might need it dep on exemptions.

All BE licences gained on or after 19-1-2013 are limited to 3500kg trailer weight.

Edited by Justme

Here we go again.

I can, I've still got my paper license, its pretty clearly stated :001_smile:

Only IF you claimed it within the correct time scales.

Check using the online service if you dont trust me.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Your licence allowances were revoked if not claimed.

Edit to add.

I have sent in an official request for clarification re pre 97 paper licences & the 12000kg limits.

I will report back when I get a reply.

Edited by Justme

I am equally confused , perhaps Richie ( Justme) could add some clarity. This subject is interesting but these weights/entitlements go against anything I know to be legal.

Bob

That weight plate vehicle would need a C1 to drive it.

If you passed your car test pre 01-01-97 then you have C1. You are NOT driving it on a car licence contrary to popular belief.

To tow with it you need C1E,

Pre 01-01-97 you would be limited to a 750kg trailer as you have a 107 restriction.

Post 01-01-97 you can have a total GTW of 12000kg IE INC the vehicle.

So if fully loaded then the trailer must weigh under 4540kg.

You can not use your unlimited BE trailer limit on a C1E vehicle.

All I know is, as a car licence holder who passed their test in 1977.

And assumed I still had the 1200kg GTW entitlement(until about 10 years ago)

But when I checked the credit card part of my licence, it clearly states that since 1979 I was limited to 8250kg GTW

Ditto for a local Utilities Company running a fleet of 7500kg trucks towing plant trailers, mostly being driven by car licence holders with( they thought 1200kg GTW Grandfather rights), one of whose drivers was involved in a RTC.

They were, it transpired restricted to 8250kg, ergo, not legal to tow 3500kg behind 7500kg

cheers

mth

That weight plate vehicle would need a C1 to drive it.

If you passed your car test pre 01-01-97 then you have C1. You are NOT driving it on a car licence contrary to popular belief.

To tow with it you need C1E,

Pre 01-01-97 you would be limited to a 750kg trailer as you have a 107 restriction.

Post 01-01-97 you can have a total GTW of 12000kg IE INC the vehicle.

So if fully loaded then the trailer must weigh under 4540kg.

You can not use your unlimited BE trailer limit on a C1E vehicle.

Thanks for the response , so if a 7.5 tonner had a fifth wheel coupling and a small trailer @4.5 ton gross the rest of the weight would need to be on the neck of the trailer over the fifth wheel. That may cause problems with axle weights on the towing vehicle, so 12 tons gross as a mini artic on a car licence is not really attainable :confused1:

Bob

god i thought doing my artic test was hard, seems pretty straight forward compared to trying to understand all these classes, weights , exemptions etc !!! :)

Glad i did mine reading this. Its no ones fault on this thread that the law has become so vague in print.

But i know i can jump in a truck and go. Not worry about my part. If the vehicle is not insured correctly etc at least ive done my bit in good faith.

As a recent example of this ive pulled trailer that was brand new last august quite a bit up to this month.

Yet it was illegal much of that time because the maker had never registered it as a road going vehicle. It did get registered last month!

If i checked everything id never get any work done. Its time it was all redone simply from scratch.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Hows that work on a car license then?

You said in your first post you believe you are limited to 12t GTW?

Now you're back to 7.5tonner with trailer, not a 3.5t and 5th wheel?

In you have on your driving licence B + E pre jan 97 then you are only limited in the weight you can tow with a 3.5ton vehicle to the vehicles plated train weight.

The idea being, you find the best train weight unit then downlplate it to 3.5 tons so you can then claim the B + E class, the vehicle keeps its original train weight and there is the kicker.

The merc atego is a bit extreme at nearly 19ton train minus the weight of the tractor and trailer should till have a cargo capacity of at least 15 tons once downplated. Pretty mad right but thems the rules.