Backup line when spiking.

Mark Wileman

Ive seen a grigri been used in a single line application for descent instead of a hitch.Ive never tried this so ive no idea if a grigri is rated for such an application.

That's not a bad idea. Only trouble with the grigri is the lever can easily get caught up in a mess of biners/equipment/other lines... But its a lot stronger and tidier than a prussik for sure. Thanks

That's not a bad idea. Only trouble with the grigri is the lever can easily get caught up in a mess of biners/equipment/other lines... But its a lot stronger and tidier than a prussik for sure. Thanks

If your mainline is chokered around the stem with a bowline or a biner then as you ascend the grigri would be kinda hangin loose but your flipline is your point of contact,the grigri would only be tightend against the biner/bowline as a safety precaution incase you gaff out while using the saw or need to descend in an emergency.

• 7 months later...

update now I've actually spent a few days on poles, rather than in front of my computer googling setups!

I choke my mainline around the stem with a pulley so its easy to flip up with your flip line.

I then just have my standard drt friction hitch that's always on my rope (I use the knut), and tie off a fig 8 device underneath it. Fig 8 stops the hitch binding up when loaded with ky weight and allows quick descent to next work position (having a long tail on the choked off line then means it falls down to you easily because of the pulley.