Backup line when spiking.

Mark Wileman

Hi guys,

I'm on my CS38 at the moment, just done the spiking day.

Just wanted to ask what your favoured setups are for your backup line (for those that use one!)

We are using a running bowline to choke our secondary line around the stem and have a prussik attached to arrest in a fall, all my climbing (mountaineering) knowledge so far has taught me to never ever trust just a single prussik holding your weight so just wondered what other systems people use?

I'll admit that the above method does make it easy to flip your secondary line up with your flip line though, maybe I should just man up.

You could use a figure 8 under the prussik but that would be a bit of a faff.

I've mainly used a multi saver (teufelberger) or similar tightly wrapped around the stem with the main line running through it. Very quick, safe and simple and means you can decend or ascend a pole, retrieve from beneath etc.

I dont really use a back up when spiking up a stem to be honest,until i get too a tie in point.You can choker a cambium saver around a stem and feed your rope through that so in an emergency you can descend quickly.Bit of a faff though

Remember though the prussik is just too catch you if you gaff out,decending in an emergency would require a back up to the prussik.

Edited by stihlmadasever

Every one climbs slightly differently, so everyone will have a different answer. I used to leave a branch stub every six feet or so. SRT is the best way of backing up as you can choke around the stem, however this will probably be outside the scope of your course.

Cambium saver/ rope guide is probably going to be your best solution to start with.