What is sloe gin ?

gensetsteve

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant have a competition because i would enter my mothers sloe gin which would win hands down.......(he says throwing down the gauntlet...:laugh1:)

Each berry should be pricked with a hawthorn thorn really, and ideally the gin should be left for years adding gin/ sugar as necessary, the end result ho[pefully being a sweet almost syrupy liquid that is mighty strong!:001_smile:

I do sloe gin but prefer Damson gin.

Basic recipe for mine is 1/4 bottle sugar, fill the bottle to the top with pricked damsons or sloes then fill with gin. Usually get half a litre of gin in a litre bottle.

I have got 15 bottles of damson and 5 bottles of sloe on the go. Damson has been bottled since september and the sloes are last years brew. I think they need at least 12 months with the berries before filtering to taste there best.

Kev

I used to make a lot of this, never seem to find the time now. I used to use about 2 lb sloes with around 1/2 lb sugar with 1 litre of gin (the recipe said 1 lb sugar, but that was too sweet for me). Sloes would be frozen, then thawed, then added to the jar with the sugar one layer sloes followed by one layer sugar and so on, then the gin on top. I'd seal the jar, then shake it regularly. Stuff make now is ok by Christmas, but if you can keep your hands off it til crimbo 2010, it'll be a lot better.

You can use vodka instead of gin..and if there's any sloes left, I've got a great recipe for sloe wine, if anyone's interested..

I've started making sloe gin this year, hopefully ready for christmas.:001_smile:

the book i used said;

3 1/4 lbs of sloes, rinsed

2 litres of gin

and 6 oz of sugar,

it also says that if you have more of a sweet tooth then add more sugar. (so i added more)

I used the cheapest gin i could find (value) cause i thought that the more expencive gin already tastes nice (i was told this by another sloe gin maker in the drinks aisle)

I froze the sloes and then pricked them as well. i found it best to use a fork when they are still hard, cause its too hard when they have defrosted, an they may quash in your hand. although it is cold work.

I put it all into a demijohn, but there is a lot of airspace in it so i don't know if that is good or bad

also shake it daily, this makes sure that all the sugar is dissolved, and it quickly goes a dark colour.

i've also heard that vodka is meant to be quite nice so am doing that too:biggrin: