New wood burner

Will Heal

42 minutes ago, woodlovergonetofbasthatshowitsdonenowadays:( said:

I have fitted 2 log burners in my own house, and sweep the flues myself. I have no paperwork/certs.

What would happen if I want to sell the house? Are my fires illegal? Am I a criminal for doing this work unregistered? Do I not have the right to install my own stove?

All of that and what about my open fires?  Do they not have the same potential dangers if not ventilated?  Would I need a Hetas 

certificate if I wanted to install another open fire?  Surely the dangers of an open fire, logs rolling out, smoke, sparks, unswept chimney are greater than a wood stove?

1 hour ago, woodlovergonetofbasthatshowitsdonenowadays:( said:

I have fitted 2 log burners in my own house, and sweep the flues myself. I have no paperwork/certs.

What would happen if I want to sell the house?

Take the stoves out prior to sale.

1 hour ago, woodlovergonetofbasthatshowitsdonenowadays:( said:

Are my fires illegal? Am I a criminal for doing this work unregistered? Do I not have the right to install my own stove?

Well they don't conform to building regulations but if that isn't enforced within a year there's not much they can do about it IMO.

Yes you do have the right to install your stove and flue but you should then get it certified, by building control, to prove it adheres to part J of the building regs. Also you should install a carbon monoxide monitor, they're so long lived and cheap now it seems foolish not to.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Take the stoves out prior to sale.

Well they don't conform to building regulations but if that isn't enforced within a year there's not much they can do about it IMO.

Yes you do have the right to install your stove and flue but you should then get it certified, by building control, to prove it adheres to part J of the building regs. Also you should install a carbon monoxide monitor, they're so long lived and cheap now it seems foolish not to.

Thanks for the info...I will look into getting them certified as we are going to move in the near future and the Log Burners I think will help sell this house.

But now I am thinking is my whole fire place illegal...I made it from concrete blocks/stainless steel mesh/bricks then cement render in the shape of stone, and I have never seen another before in the UK when researching the idea years ago. Cost £30 with the stone flags for hearth and 2.5 years of near on daily use there are no cracks in the render. will it pass regs?

10 minutes ago, woodlovergonetofbasthatshowitsdonenowadays:( said:

Thanks for the info...I will look into getting them certified as we are going to move in the near future and the Log Burners I think will help sell this house.

But now I am thinking is my whole fire place illegal...I made it from concrete blocks/stainless steel mesh/bricks then cement render in the shape of stone, and I have never seen another before in the UK when researching the idea years ago. Cost £30 with the stone flags for hearth and 2.5 years of near on daily use there are no cracks in the render. will it pass regs?

Read Part J of the building regulations and then if it is hunky dory get a price from your local building control for the visit. Mine were loathe to do it as none of the staff were experienced, another option is to use a private building control firm.

The thing is those HETAS registered fitters that are experienced and competent to install and self certify their own installations are not allowed to pass others' work. This self certification schemes are sensible in concept as each stage of the work can  be done whilst still visible whereas if the BCO has to visit to check each stage it will get a bit long winded and expensive. OTOH it creates a monopoly so costs go up anyway.

• Thanks 1