Best budget 4x4 Commercial?

TimberCutterDartmoor

If you black out the windows remove the seats and seat belts in some non commercials you can get them re-classified on the log book. I can't remember the exact rules but if they do a commercial version I think it is pretty straight forward. As I recall I just sent some photos with the log book.

I did it when we switched from a partnership to LTD with our toyota land-cruiser. I deffo do it again if I needed a 4x4 commercial as the standard versions are more common and likely to be in better condition.

59767480d829e_landcruiser1.jpg.82f4fdcd4d517860f4a5f01ec817ff33.jpg

59767480da2bf_landcruiser3.jpg.2d8dd6f0e197d6f859db3a2a9039ed79.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you black out the windows remove the seats and seat belts in some non commercials you can get them re-classified on the log book. I can't remember the exact rules but if they do a commercial version I think it is pretty straight forward. As I recall I just sent some photos with the log book.

I did it when we switched from a partnership to LTD with our toyota land-cruiser. I deffo do it again if I needed a 4x4 commercial as the standard versions are more common and likely to be in better condition.

Useful information I might try this with the last of the Amazon 100 series. I need to tow 3.5 tonnes. As a commercial it would also reduce the road tax and get rid of the scale fuel charge for vat ? . I can register a new one and reclaim the vat with out removing seats so in theory could be same for a used one. Claiming the vat makes a new one the same price as a 3 year old one. But I am not spending 65 k on a work horse lol :biggrin:

Not a lot; max £3k

No brainer then, Terrano is what 'he' shud be looking fir. I had a sniff about Ebay yesserday and there are some decent ones with sub 100k on the clocks around the 3k mark. Some seem to be 2.7L and some are 3.0L so do yer research as i dunno which is better in terms of 'no tech', ie; no CAT and no DPF or silly coded injectors. The idea of a simple 2 seater with plenty of space in't back fer drums of cherryaide, hydraulic oil, fuel etc would be ideal fer you i guess. Might be worth wax oiling the chassis on any 'new to you' purchase to prolong it's workable life.

No brainer then, Terrano is what 'he' shud be looking fir. I had a sniff about Ebay yesserday and there are some decent ones with sub 100k on the clocks around the 3k mark. Some seem to be 2.7L and some are 3.0L so do yer research as i dunno which is better in terms of 'no tech', ie; no CAT and no DPF or silly coded injectors. The idea of a simple 2 seater with plenty of space in't back fer drums of cherryaide, hydraulic oil, fuel etc would be ideal fer you i guess. Might be worth wax oiling the chassis on any 'new to you' purchase to prolong it's workable life.

The 2.7 litre is the engine used in the London Black cabs so is a great engine. It's worth getting the later intercooled unit. :001_smile:

Thas correctamundo Felix. I'd opt fer one meself but me ole pickup just keeps on goin :thumbup:

I like my battered old Trooper. It looks like a horse box dragger so travels under the radar of the local tool thieves(no sign writing) and gets in and out of the woods with ease as it is a SWB. I'm going to be so peed off when I eventually have to retire it as they stopped making them in 2004. :001_rolleyes:

I like my battered old Trooper. It looks like a horse box dragger so travels under the radar of the local tool thieves(no sign writing) and gets in and out of the woods with ease as it is a SWB. I'm going to be so peed off when I eventually have to retire it as they stopped making them in 2004. :001_rolleyes:

Keep looking fer one of the last/late ones which were registered on 05 and even 55 plates. Even a complete rolling chassis with a blown 3.0 lump cud be either fixed up or drop a 3.1 in there and as long as the rust hasn't taken hold ya cud have another 6-8 years of cheap motoring.