Bar oils too thick

AllyH

The only things used oil is good for is recycling and getting some heat in to the bonfire, I've seen what happens when someone wrecked a saw by using waste unfiltered engine oil. I'd never use filtered waste oil either there are too many ultra fine particuls in it to clog a saw and it's just a waste of time and absolutely stinks and the customer won't like it on there propertie.

I'd rather just pay the ten euros for a can of oil and get the job done

Its also carcinogenic

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right and some always ends up on your trousers, it's attributed to causing scrotum cancer.

Don't dip your scrotum in it then:lol: Why do they make chain oil when there are all these cheaper alternatives ? I use the Husqvarna one at the moment, it's quite thin.

Don't dip your scrotum in it then:lol: Why do they make chain oil when there are all these cheaper alternatives ? I use the Husqvarna one at the moment, it's quite thin.

I know you are being sarcastic but it was the first industrial cancer recognised in boy chimney sweeps, then there was an increase in the incidence with young American motor mechanics and the reason was oily rags in pockets from wiping dipsticks etc. so having it flung on your trousers is a known risk.

When I worked for a local firm in 1976 we had to use it as chain lubricant, luckily I didn't stay there long. Between the filth from that and Arbrex clothes and I came home filthy.

I can see no good reason to use non bio oil in any saw, particularly waste oil, most of it ends up on the ground and if you're commercial felling that can add up to a lot of oil chucked about. Also continuous use of cooking oil will eventually leak through the gasket and **** your crank (we had 2 550s n a 261 die like this). Bio oils have improved a lot over the last few years and I've had no problems with gumming up, I use Clark and Oregon brands

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Its also carcinogenic

Old engine oil is ..... and for all the reasons mentioned above i dont think i would want to use old engine oil either.

Old gearbox oil on the hand isn't (carcinogenic) as there are no products of combustion contaminating it. I raised the question about 'gearbox' oil...

Not really of much interest I agree, I only raised the question because the viscosity is similar to bespoke chain oil (unlike engine oil). I'll try it at some point.

bmp01

I usually yes Mole Valley Oil £13 for 5 litres but ran short and popped into Screwfix £3.99 per litre, thing is it used to be thick oil. They have changed supplier or recipie and it is now a lot thinner, still works OK, anti fling, lasts the same time to a tank of fuel.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Arbtalk mobile app

I usually yes Mole Valley Oil £13 for 5 litres but ran short and popped into Screwfix £3.99 per litre, thing is it used to be thick oil. They have changed supplier or recipie and it is now a lot thinner, still works OK, anti fling, lasts the same time to a tank of fuel.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Arbtalk mobile app

These are hideously high prices; when you can get much nearer £1/litre if you buy 25 litres plus?