will amateurs accidents reflect on our insurance

Stephen Blair

for the first time in years our tree insurance is down to a very affordable price i think(compared to a few years ago at least), now that chainsaw sales have went through the roof due to the firewood craze will this effect our insurance if a homeowner has an accident, i was always lead to believe it did as it comes down to a chainsaw related incident. anyone know the facts??:confused1::001_smile:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the average home owner won't carry the same sort of insurance or training that we do, so their accidents will only impact on the relevant insurance market

Thats what I would hope, if they dont have insurance to claim on then surely the insurance companies wont start 'losing' money and therefore get it all back plus a bit more of us.

Does HSE actually record non-industrial accidents :confused1:

Tree Work ? Tree work statistics

Surely the entire point of the HSE is that they are concerned with Health and Safety at Work (ie the Health and Safety at Work Act) and not folk damaging themselves for fun in civilian life....

Is RoSPA a better body to find out about household chainsaw incidents?

Home and Leisure Accident Statistics : RoSPA : HASS and LASS

Spot on and if you look at the recorded instances on the HSE website it makes for scary reading !

The trouble with the HSE stats is that they record any accident involving a tree as arboriculture when at least a (good sized) portion of them should read landscaper got out of his depth with a chainsaw.

i went to quote a job today for a factor at a block of flats, 2 dead elms, nothing huge but really really dead, one by a garage and one by a main rd, maybe 25 feet max, old pollards(i did these approx 8 yrs ago)when i got one of the tennants out for a quick walk around he told me thta his nieghbours boyfriend had a saw and they were just going to do it themselves, at first i was more annoyed at my wasted hour of family weekend time and the fact that the factor had went to the trouble of putting out tenders but then i realised that this idiot and his pal(the plumber)were a good chance of messing up my premiums, now there was a wee old lady out for a nosy and she was very embarassed about my wasted journey and her leaving comment was 'well he is a plumber so obviously he can cut down trees)

i went to quote a job today for a factor at a block of flats, 2 dead elms, nothing huge but really really dead, one by a garage and one by a main rd, maybe 25 feet max, old pollards(i did these approx 8 yrs ago)when i got one of the tennants out for a quick walk around he told me thta his nieghbours boyfriend had a saw and they were just going to do it themselves, at first i was more annoyed at my wasted hour of family weekend time and the fact that the factor had went to the trouble of putting out tenders but then i realised that this idiot and his pal(the plumber)were a good chance of messing up my premiums, now there was a wee old lady out for a nosy and she was very embarassed about my wasted journey and her leaving comment was 'well he is a plumber so obviously he can cut down trees)

Well, yeah, cutting trees down is easy.:sneaky2: