driveway solutions

Dean O

we recently moved house and have been looking at 'sorting' the driveway/ parking area.

I need to be able to bring tracked machines home every now and then

I'd like a concrete pad down - as cleaning mud of the vehicle, and tracking the machine on gravel makes a mess.

but the price I've had for sorting levels, drainage and sorting various other bits and pieces has been massive.

So I'm considering sorting levels/drainage and putting the sub base down while I wait on the funds for the concrete.

I'm still concerned regarding the tracking of machines across (best will in the world - being careful not to turn too sharp etc)

I've considered the geogrid type systems

the plastic paviour type ones seem like they could be brittle, the cellweb type seem like they could loose their infill and flop locally to this sort of abuse.

will they stand up to track machines turning on them.

any experience?

any better solutions

many thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to much work in a slab, right amount of base, rebar in the slab and away you go.

A helpful site is pavingexpert.com

as said put your shuttering in to get your falls right quick tamp and your done dont mess with the top to much because you weaken the surface let it dry nice and slow

What about second hand concrete railway sleepers over a scalpings sub base ? If you lay the sleepers with a bit of a gap between them and fill the gaps with soil you will soon get some grass growing between them . That should also help with the drainage .

However , In my quick search I have not been able to find a price for second hand sleepers ,so I can't say if they are cost effective or not .

Just out of interest, are you intending on submitting a planning app for your new slab?

There is (I think) relevant and interesting comment in the recent "root protection zone" thread if you haven't already seen it.

Get a life Kevin![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk