my static rope system

devon TWiG

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks Broadsword , I may take you up on that , where about's in Devon are you ? I am Newton Abbot area . ......... From info I have it seems most use a 11mm rope with SRT. I personally really like DRT I have been using it for over 30 years now and like it and have no problem with it , just use some of the kit I already have to make long ascents easier ( getting old !! ) but would like to see SRT in use on a job , not a demo ( video ) in a clean open crown parkland tree with no deadwood ivy etc etc ....and I bloody hate throwbags / lines ...most of the Douglas firs I am doing are close enough to chuck a rope from one to the next one .

I wouldn't bother if you don't like/can't use a throwline. You may aswell carry on DDRT if it works for you, but then I guess it doesn't always otherwise you wouldn't have made this thread.. If you suck with a throwline, get a bigshot. As Bolam said, even if you just use it to get up then switch back to DDRT to work, it will make your life physically less demanding. Especially if you are working on tall trees. As Marc said, you only need a few extra bits to supplement your current kit. My minimum would be some throwlines, a wrench and tether and a foot ascender.

I wouldn't bother if you don't like/can't use a throwline. You may aswell carry on DDRT if it works for you, but then I guess it doesn't always otherwise you wouldn't have made this thread.. If you suck with a throwline, get a bigshot. As Bolam said, even if you just use it to get up then switch back to DDRT to work, it will make your life physically less demanding. Especially if you are working on tall trees. As Marc said, you only need a few extra bits to supplement your current kit. My minimum would be some throwlines, a wrench and tether and a foot ascender.

Talking shite there Ben! I'm crap with a big shot. Hand throwing, forget it! Still love SRT, except I ddrt (or freeclimb) to the top, then switch to SRT!

I use srt for canopy access ...then switch over to ddrt when I reach my anchor point . Im 46 yrs old and i just love my prussic . Its a bomb proof knot ... binds up ....a lot ....but it dont slip .

I like the rads system for access with a petzl grigri and a pulley ...not forgetting the foot loop and hand ascender . Which are not always needed .

I use srt for canopy access ...then switch over to ddrt when I reach my anchor point . Im 46 yrs old and i just love my prussic . Its a bomb proof knot ... binds up ....a lot ....but it dont slip .

I like the rads system for access with a petzl grigri and a pulley ...not forgetting the foot loop and hand ascender . Which are not always needed .

Is a RADS system for ascent really SRT though? You're going from 2:1 with DDRT to 3:1 with RADS. Not much use for access either as you'd have to be at the top to set it up.

If you have somebody pulling the slack it speeds things up.

Listen guys I really couldn't care :001_tt2: Srt or not .....

Its a single rope utilized in a way that helps a 46 yr old man get up to the top of a tree easier than ddrt .

Its very funky .... well it is for me .

Id love to see some of you .....young guns climbing on 3 strand nowadays.

Its how all of us old nogs where taught ...

In fact why don,t some of you pups try it :thumbup1:

Is a RADS system for ascent really SRT though? You're going from 2:1 with DDRT to 3:1 with RADS. Not much use for access either as you'd have to be at the top to set it up.

I can set it up from the ground with the addition of a pulley and a hand held ascender its easy ?

Set the static line with a throw sack first ....

RADS ahh that takes me back nothing like a good bit of thunder pumping to the top.

And BenR he is always talking ****, can't throw for toffee either normally have to install his lines for him and roll his fags.

White Noise you need to give the tree frog a go, game changer check this out for some interesting reading, I made my own tree frog system which was kind of like the micro frog in this link

http://vtio.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Single-Rope-Technique-i.pdf