my static rope system

devon TWiG

Just checking with that photo of the ascender, is that exactly how you would use it? It's not safely locked on at all without a carabiner clipped into the top hole, as like that if you bend it far enough forward the cam will open and the whole thing will pop out. I only use it as a handhold, being attached on with a hitchclimber setup and using a foot ascender, so don't usually bother but something to be aware of.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't bother if you don't like/can't use a throwline. You may aswell carry on DDRT if it works for you, but then I guess it doesn't always otherwise you wouldn't have made this thread.. If you suck with a throwline, get a bigshot. As Bolam said, even if you just use it to get up then switch back to DDRT to work, it will make your life physically less demanding. Especially if you are working on tall trees. As Marc said, you only need a few extra bits to supplement your current kit. My minimum would be some throwlines, a wrench and tether and a foot ascender.

I have been climbing for 30 + years now ...I have had a throwline and or bag or weight for many years and on occasion it is great but there are many trees which are near impossible to get it in to ..eg masses of dead wood and or ivy, an understory of shrubs trees, and close to other trees etc and a lot of time can be wasted getting stuck, tangled etc etc ... The system I use and have shown I am using for access only , most of the time on this site I am getting the rope 15 - 20 metres up the tree from the adjacent tree , and it is a very simple and safe system and with the pantin relatively easy .... I usually ascend further in to the tree with ddrt before my top anchor point ... even with a big shot ( £180 catapault ) I think it is extremely unlikely anyone could get to this spot ... but I would love to see it repeatedly done !!

Edited by devon TWiG

Just checking with that photo of the ascender, is that exactly how you would use it? It's not safely locked on at all without a carabiner clipped into the top hole, as like that if you bend it far enough forward the cam will open and the whole thing will pop out. I only use it as a handhold, being attached on with a hitchclimber setup and using a foot ascender, so don't usually bother but something to be aware of.

If you study the picture and understand my explanation then the ascender coming off or failing is not a problem ..that is what the set up is about ....

And BenR he is always talking ****, can't throw for toffee either normally have to install his lines for him and roll his fags.

Don't be giving away my secrets Wastlator!! Now I get Q to put all my lines in and I smoke a vape pen so i don't have to roll!! Get with the times bro.. you're thinking so DDRT. You gots tah SRT it up. :lol::laugh1:

Just kidding Marc.. Yeah I'm not the best but I did get a 25m shot into woodland pine riddled with deadwood on my 3rd go today :thumbup1:

I feel like throwline is 1)mentally calm with it 2)nobody watching me and 3)concentration

Practice makes perfect thats why I'm so crap! Not enough practice and too much talking shiite:blushing:

I have been climbing for 30 + years now ...I have had a throwline and or bag or weight for many years and on occasion it is great but there are many trees which are near impossible to get it in to ..eg masses of dead wood and or ivy, an understory of shrubs trees, and close to other trees etc and a lot of time can be wasted getting stuck, tangled etc etc ... The system I use and have shown I am using for access only , most of the time on this site I am getting the rope 15 - 20 metres up the tree from the adjacent tree , and it is a very simple and safe system and with the pantin relatively easy .... I usually ascend further in to the tree with ddrt before my top anchor point ... even with a big shot ( £180 catapault ) I think it is extremely unlikely anyone could get to this spot ... but I would love to see it repeatedly done !!

Why don't you just get a hook and traverse across then?

Id love to see some of you .....young guns climbing on 3 strand nowadays.

Its how all of us old nogs where taught ...

In fact why don,t some of you pups try it :thumbup1:

HAHA The same reason people don't travel by horse and cart still.. Saying that I would love to give it a go some day just for the fun of it. Trouble is, I don't know anyone that even has any 3 strand rope, let alone 3 strand prussics... thankfully:001_rolleyes:

I am removing the deadwood all down the trunk, so end up at the bottom of the tree I am in before ascending the next one and repeating the process ... a lot of up and down ....

Hey Twig.. I've been doing a similar thing today in a woodland of 25/30m pines.. I don't see the drama?

My process today has been throwline into one tree as high as possible. Clear it on the way up, advance my rope if neccessary, traverse across to the tree next door with my epple hook and work that one on the way down. Two trees one ascent. I'm not hot on maths but that seems fairly efficient to me. Even if I then went back up the same tree and went across to another it still wouldn't be that much hardship. That is the joy of 1:1 SRT work positioning.

It kind of evolved into most people suggesting you just got a rope wrench though :) Can the majority be wrong? if it wasn't worth doing why would we do it? Plus it's a hell of a lot safer being able to descend without having to change over onto a descender in case something goes pete tong.. or you know, just carry on as you are because you've been doing that 30 years and it works. 3 strand works too but you're not using that still.... ARE YOU?!