Trump Petition

matelot

It's a shame that in this day and age people still can't tolerate that people have different beliefs and have to insult each other instead.

Religion, like everything, has positives and negatives but in the end it's just a way of grouping people with similar beliefs together and if it helps people to be happier by being Christian, Atheist, Muslim or whatever then good for them, it certainly shouldn't be a reason to look down on them.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame that in this day and age people still can't tolerate that people have different beliefs and have to insult each other instead.

Religion, like everything, has positives and negatives but in the end it's just a way of grouping people with similar beliefs together and if it helps people to be happier by being Christian, Atheist, Muslim or whatever then good for them, it certainly shouldn't be a reason to look down on them.

:thumbup1:

But if that belief is patently wrong, and it's application inflicts suffering onto billions of people, then surely it is to be criticised? We would think nothing of mocking someone who believed that the earth was flat, or that certain races were superior to others (eh, matelot?), so why should we exercise restraint with regard to religion?

Isis have no base and no leader and therefore no proper funding. They just charge about like headless chickens killing whoever they can, frequently including fellow muslims who happen to be there.

There is no way they will ever be in a position to mount any kind of organised attack on the west, just brain dead youths thinking they will get 72 virgins. 500 deaths in 2 years is nothing to a population of 500,000,000. (Obviously very sorry to those who died)

Time to worry is when they war planes and tanks. I personally can't see this happening. Ever.

And hear lies the problem vastly underestimating the enemy.

Muslims wage war on every level and will use any means available may be go back some 1700 years and see the empire that they had they made it all the way to Spain and in to France it took 700 years for the crusades to get it back.

Any body that is deemed a Keffer is deemed lower than dogs.

Them refugees are young men ready to fight.

Does it not worry you how easy it is for them to rape.

Balance^^[emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The best you can say about religion is that it's utter bollocks. The worst is that it is a cancer on humanity.

With the greatest respect for your personal view on religion J, the one point that strikes me as always being over-looked in the great pro/anti religion debate is the huge "comfort" that religion (any denomination) brings to millions of humans all over the world.

We always seem to focus on the perception that blame / cause of strife is the result of religious belief - possibly more accurately described as the failings of mankind hidden or justified under the banner of religious justification - but, regardless wether one holds a belief or not, we never seem to recognise that a great many draw a great comfort from it.

Just saying, I don't mind if people take comfort from something I don't understand.... (Perhaps like yourself though, I kind of do mind if people do bad stuff and try to justify by religion)

With the greatest respect for your personal view on religion J, the one point that strikes me as always being over-looked in the great pro/anti religion debate is the huge "comfort" that religion (any denomination) brings to millions of humans all over the world.

We always seem to focus on the perception that blame / cause of strife is the result of religious belief - possibly more accurately described as the failings of mankind hidden or justified under the banner of religious justification - but, regardless wether one holds a belief or not, we never seem to recognise that a great many draw a great comfort from it.

Just saying, I don't mind if people take comfort from something I don't understand.... (Perhaps like yourself though, I kind of do mind if people do bad stuff and try to justify by religion)

After spending time in a children's intensive care unit I've seen first hand how a little belief in who Evers god can go along way. Not for me but also not for me to criticise anybody else's beliefs.

Yup.

" in the name of religion", nutters user it as a reason! The real reason is they are nutters.

If you could wipe out all forms of religion tomorrow, you'd still have the nutters who'd find another cause to try and justify their behaviour.

As the great Jock Stein said" it's not religion that's the problem, it's the lack of religion"

Obviously he was talking about sectarianism, which is carried out by nutters.

I understand your point, but honestly in a situation where something awful had happened to me or a loved one, religious belief would leave me asking some pretty difficult questions. My wife lost her best friend to Leukemia 6 years ago. Her husband is religious and is also a very good friend. He reconciled it as being part of God's plan, but frankly if God's plan it to inflict incurable Leukemia onto a wonderful 25 year woman then it's not any God that deserves recognition, let alone respect

If I were in a situation like that, the only way I could (possibly?) come to terms with it is to accept it as it is. Part of the cruel and random nature of existence. To seek greater meaning in existence, a purpose in life is to elevate ourselves beyond what we are. Which is initially animals and finally worm food. :001_smile:

I understand your point, but honestly in a situation where something awful had happened to me or a loved one, religious belief would leave me asking some pretty difficult questions. My wife lost her best friend to Leukemia 6 years ago. Her husband is religious and is also a very good friend. He reconciled it as being part of God's plan, but frankly if God's plan it to inflict incurable Leukemia onto a wonderful 25 year woman then it's not any God that deserves recognition, let alone respect

If I were in a situation like that, the only way I could (possibly?) come to terms with it is to accept it as it is. Part of the cruel and random nature of existence. To seek greater meaning in existence, a purpose in life is to elevate ourselves beyond what we are. Which is initially animals and finally worm food. :001_smile:

He will cope with that situation far better than someone (yourself) without belief.

That's a bad thing in your book?