How to tell if you need a towing licence

Justme

I found this:

The 107 restriction is only found on licences where the C1 category is present by virtue of grandfather rights, ie if you had a full car licence before the new categories came into force (1997 I think) you could drive vehicles up to 7.5 tons gvw and 8.25 tons gtw. This entitlement has no age-related restrictions, so will remain present as long as you have your licence.

The "new" Euro category C1+E allows 12 tonnes GTW but since this is a greater gtw than you would have had with the old car licence, the restriction 107 was invented to reduce the scope of your entitlement. The new Euro C1+E has the same age restrictions as the cat C, ie it needs to be renewed every 5 years from age 45, but this only requires a medical, not a driving test.

So the current situation is that if you have C1+E through grandfather rights you have the code 107 restriction and an enduring licence (ie it doesn't need renewing at 45). To remove the restriction you would need to take a current C1+E test which would give you the full 12 tonnes gtw entitlement (ie remove the 107) but this will need renewing every 5 years from age 45.

If you have the C1+E (107) by grandfather rights and take the C1+E test to get the 107 restriction removed, and then don't renew the licence when the medical falls due, you will revert to entitlement you held through grandfather rights, ie C1+E (107).

If you have taken the C1+E test since the new category was introduced, you will be 12 tonnes rated anyway. This also will of course need renewing every 5 years from 45.

One slightly odd outcome from all this come is you had a full car licence and a full HGV 1 entitlement prior to the introduction of the new licence categories, like I did. Despite having full car and full HGV1 pre-97, my licence now has B+E, C1+E (107), and C+E. It took me a while to work out why the 107 hadn't cleared since the C+E obviously allows me to drive unlimited gross trains weights on the road (subject to Special Types regs etc). The reason is due to the different expiry dates; the C+E now has to be renewed every 5 years (since I am over 45) whilst the B+E and C1+E (107) do not. So if I chose not to renew the C+E entitlement, the 107 restriction would again become effective.

I hope that you can make sense of this, it is actually less complicated than it sounds when you write it down. It does however require a little thought to figure it all out!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I passed my driving test in 1994 aged 17 (in Pwllheli funnily enough JustMe...) and have always been restricted to 8250kg, originally on my initial paper licence and subsequently ever since. When I was 20 I used to drive vans/7.5 tonners with various trailers for exhibition companies and the 8250kg limit and the 1997 cut off date was a serious consideration when it came to employment and also exhibition trailer design. It was common to use 5 tonne Renault Messenger vans that could carry a decent payload of generators/display kit, and have trailers built down to a maximum weight of 3.25 tonnes. We couldn't tow anything of worth behind the 7.5 tonners - the lads that could had all done an additional test (but not a full HGV test).

Edited by monkeybusiness

Just checked mine, shows all my entailments as per my paper licence.

When does the plastic photo licence become mandatory?

Dave you must have a 107 on yours then, unless you've done a C1+E test?

The bugger of it is 5 years comes round bloody quickly when you're past 45!

Josh I want to smash your smug teenage face in! I hope you age quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Dave you must have a 107 on yours then, unless you've done a C1+E test?

The bugger of it is 5 years comes round bloody quickly when you're past 45!

Josh I want to smash your smug teenage face in! I hope you age quickly!

A nice drive will calm you down old timer.

50mph in the middle lane with the indicator constantly on should do it.

It would appear that you never had total train weight of 12t, but instead, those who passed before 97, were able to drive vehicles upto 7.5t AND able to tow trailers exceeding 750kg (hence the "E") along as the GTW never exceeded 8250kg (hence the 107)

Those that got the 7.5t after 97 could ONLY drive trailers unto 750kg, even if the vehicle was only say 5t. (unlike the pre 97 who could then tow 3250)

Passing the E gives the 12 gtw

So Midget man, you can now only load your tranny upto 8250 GTW :laugh1:

But even though your over 45, you don't need the medicals every 5 years, silver lining and all that

It would appear that you never had total train weight of 12t, but instead, those who passed before 97, were able to drive vehicles upto 7.5t AND able to tow trailers exceeding 750kg (hence the "E") along as the GTW never exceeded 8250kg (hence the 107)

Those that got the 7.5t after 97 could ONLY drive trailers unto 750kg, even if the vehicle was only say 5t. (unlike the pre 97 who could then tow 3250)

Passing the E gives the 12 gtw

So Midget man, you can now only load your tranny upto 8250 GTW :laugh1:

But even though your over 45, you don't need the medicals every 5 years, silver lining and all that

[emoji23]

I'm a glass half-full kind of guy!

We need a beer young 'un.