Do you actually like what you do?

Simmo

I enjoy the science of tree work, biology and mycology side of things, and I miss the team work and a good climb but I don't miss being wet through and with fine saw dust stuck to my face in the pelting rain or chipping all day (talk about robotic non intellectually challenging!).

Working for myself has upped the enjoyment definitely, working for someone in the tree game is a young mans game, getting put through the ringer day in and day out for a tuppence out the other end is an issue this industry needs to get a handle on, there's no job longevity as an employee.

My observations.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoy the science of tree work, biology and mycology side of things, and I miss the team work and a good climb but I don't miss being wet through and with fine saw dust stuck to my face in the pelting rain or chipping all day (talk about robotic non intellectually challenging!).

Working for myself has upped the enjoyment definitely, working for someone in the tree game is a young mans game, getting put through the ringer day in and day out for a tuppence out the other end is an issue this industry needs to get a handle on, there's no job longevity as an employee.

My observations.

I would agree with that ...

Many factors , financial , job satisfaction , poor employee/team relationships etc can quickly sour your passion for the job . This gets harder the longer you spend in the industry and as you get older . There comes a time when this will have to be addressed or will end up hating the industry .

I like my work when I get to do it. Proper climbs and fells.

Not topping conifers or dragging brash. Lol

It still amazes me when you wipe the sweat at the end of the day and look at the difference it's made, and the look on the customers face when you've been in and took away the tree for them is always a treat.

It's like going to a bunch of different gyms to exercise n stay in shape.

And gettin paid fairly decent coin by each gym for payin em a visit!

EZ money, that keeps you alive the longer yu do it.

Jomoco

Actually the longer you do it the higher the exponential risk to death or serious injury, not to mention the sheer wear and tear on the body is in no way compensated by the small amount this job earns relative to its required skills or required equipment.

Was that a downer?

love climbing medium sized trees all day casually knocking deadwood of them over a field or empty playground but thats about 50 days a year the rest is dragging brash, horrible roadside trees, topping small trees or conifers and.reducing.small ones for the customer not my dream.job just the first rung in the ladder so to speak.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

I don't hate it, and the money comes in handy!

So you want to be an electrician?

Here's some careers advice.....(I know, I know, but some people may not have seen it)

Yesterday I was a chuffing electrician as I had to rewire the electrics on the Palax processor. New on off switch plus shed lighting on these dark afternoons.

I have not seen a sign of any more money coming my way ( the switches and lights cost a fortune) or any birds with big jugs!