How would you tackle this?

sime42

Lower tree either side off middle one then rig that off itself if the brash could be zipped off each stem before doing wood happy days as it's faster and gets it wear u want it with far less effort as far as them been this terribly weak trees I have done many hollow lombardies and they are much stronger than you think

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Please tell me that groundie in the photo is not wearing cut off trousers or small wellies!

😂😂

What are you reading on, get a decent screen and you'll see they are his new orange chainsaw wellies with his trousers tucked in. :thumbup:

One thing that I find when in such situations is that if I do not strip the tree on the way up, and work top down, the energy transfer/stem movement when removing the top is not as bad. Also, find the presence of branch/twig around lessens the twitchy feeling in the pants. Whilst it may be deemed problematic to lower with such branching around you, I find this outweighs the encroaching fear and the problems that fear/nerves going, can lead to whilst carrying out tree work.

As others have said, get the groundsman to let the lowering ropes run and gradually ease up the nearer the floor gets with each branch. A good groundsman on such jobs is worth weight in gold.

Just my experience of such things.

One thing that I find when in such situations is that if I do not strip the tree on the way up, and work top down, the energy transfer/stem movement when removing the top is not as bad. Also, find the presence of branch/twig around lessens the twitchy feeling in the pants. Whilst it may be deemed problematic to lower with such branching around you, I find this outweighs the encroaching fear and the problems that fear/nerves going, can lead to whilst carrying out tree work.

As others have said, get the groundsman to let the lowering ropes run and gradually ease up the nearer the floor gets with each branch. A good groundsman on such jobs is worth weight in gold.

Just my experience of such things.

I could not agree more! All the limbs you leave in the tree, apart from the fear/psychological factor, they act as a dampener while top is rigged down.

About the zipline and side loading, I never saw doing this but I belive if used a pulley on the top and placing a rope for each side of the tree making 2 zip lines (with same angle both), the load would be mostly vertical in the tree (depending on the angles and pulley friction ofc.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys for all your thoughts. Some good advice there. And re-assurance.

The trees are only a foot or so from the back of the shed, it's a squeeze to get between them and it. So the area for cutting and chucking into is a bit too small. Just the bit beside the shed between the fence on the left of the picture. Hence why I decided to rig it. I did think about a speed-line initially but then got put off by the sideways forces it would create. I like the idea proposed by Arrozdoce - of effectively having a double sided speed-line. I'm pretty sure it would work, makes good sense to me. Trouble is its neighbour’s gardens behind the tree and I probably don't have a long enough rope anyway! (I've been reading the article about the importance of angles in rigging work, that someone put on here recently on the rigging forum. I think it’s great, really useful. I’ve attached it again to this thread in case anyone facies a read.)

I’ve decided that I really don’t like Lombardies. I did some over in France a couple of years ago. Once I’d got them down to the stump I discovered that most were rotten in the middle to a greater or lesser extent, (no wet red cheese though thankfully Timon!) As someone else said though, they are stronger than you think. It’s only really in the outside rim of a tree where most of the strength is. Think how strong a scaffold pole is. Even knowing this doesn’t stop “the twitchy feeling in the pants” though!

Good point raised by Jamie Bray. I’ve thought about this in the past. Sometimes there is a huge difference in stability between the tree at the start and the pole left at the end before blocking down, if you strip it as you go up. It’s all about inertia and damping I reckon. I’m sure it’ll be a real pain in the ass to lower through, (I’m imagining Velcro), but I’ll try an experiment this time. To see if the trade-off between stability and lowering is worth it.

I’ll pass on the compliments on his stylish attire to my groundie! Who happens to be my bro!

Working-the-Angles-i.pdf