Legal trailer projections

simonm

At last Justme, where have you been ? :)

Interesting the mention of trailer widths by Josh, it appears to be 2.3mts but there is no difference if going wider other than the max with appropriate markers.

image_zps3t9cbk2k.jpg

image_zpsbhfxh1ti.jpg

Sadly I do have to work ;)

The 2.3m is the old width. Its more now (2.55m I think)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly does the s stand for? i assume the weight displayed is for the tow ball and the pin or would they have different weights?

So much to take into account, trailer weights, axle weights, load distribution, nose weight :001_huh:

S = Static vertical mass in English

Re the pin you would have to consult the maker.

The car will have he same limit

the tow bar the same limit

The trailer its marked limit

The ball might be different o the pin. I know of some ball / pin combo's where the ball is 3500kg yet the pin is less.

The only thing I have to add is that the 305mm projection is from the widest fixed point of the trailer. I may still have this in writing as I got it from the one of the people who wrote the construction and use regs. It means, for example, that if you have a plant trailer with wheel arches alongside the body, the overhang is measured from the outer edge of the wheel arch, not from the outside of the body, which gives a lot more freedom to operate.

Alec

At last Justme, where have you been ? :)

Interesting the mention of trailer widths by Josh, it appears to be 2.3mts but there is no difference if going wider other than the max with appropriate markers.

image_zps3t9cbk2k.jpg

image_zpsbhfxh1ti.jpg

Now that is a handy looking book Bob, got a lot of pages:lol:

So after finally running over a weigh bridge i can determine that i am 20kgs under the legal maximum weight the trailer can carry! i now need to find a weigh bridge that can weigh each axle as i suspect 1 is probably over weight.

After numerous calls to dvsa & my local vosa test centre about 8 local weigh bridges i managed to find a free weigh bridge not too far away. only problem is the wheels on the trailer are not spaced far enough apart to register each axle weights :sneaky2: anyone know of a weigh bridge in the Wakefield Leeds area?

Don`t know if your sorted yet, and whether its too far for you, a council depot at morley had a free to use axle weigher out side. It was a few years ago when I used it so a few phone calls may be in order.

Don`t know if your sorted yet, and whether its too far for you, a council depot at morley had a free to use axle weigher out side. It was a few years ago when I used it so a few phone calls may be in order.

Edit, Sorry is was not a council depot, but West Yorkshire trading standards, or West Yorkshire Joint Services Nepshaw Ln S, Gildersome, Morley LS27 7JQ

Edit, Sorry is was not a council depot, but West Yorkshire trading standards, or West Yorkshire Joint Services Nepshaw Ln S, Gildersome, Morley LS27 7JQ

Being there buddy, because axles on trailer are too close it wont give an accurate weight. Machine is going on wagon now so no chance of overloading :thumbup: