Legal trailer projections

simonm

When braking a correctly loaded trailer should be pushing into the vehicle, not pushing down surely?

Bob, is that for HGV's or light /sub3.5t trailers too?

I know that here (normally the same EU licence specifications) sub 3.5t trailers can be a maximum of 2.6m wide, with side overhang of load 20cm per side included in that 2.6m. then theres also the visibility from the mirrors to factor in.

True but i would imagine when you factor in real world driving conditions there will be situations where excessive weight will be placed upon the towball - eye its self.

I think what bob said applies for any trailer according to a gov website.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly yes, i have noticed that they seem to vary from 50kgs to the highest ive seen so far 350kgs.

I am trying to get a tracked chipper & skid steer on the trailer together, on paper the weights are fine but in reality! there's a lot of weight that will cause serious damage it it ever became detatched so i wanna make sure its legit.

When braking a correctly loaded trailer should be pushing into the vehicle, not pushing down surely?

Bob, is that for HGV's or light /sub3.5t trailers too?

I know that here (normally the same EU licence specifications) sub 3.5t trailers can be a maximum of 2.6m wide, with side overhang of load 20cm per side included in that 2.6m. then theres also the visibility from the mirrors to factor in.

Centre of gravity being above the line of the tow ball will definitely push down on the ball under braking. Maximum nose weight is specified by vehicle manufacturer in the vehicle specs I have read.

I know that each axle can legally carry a load of 1750 kg so tomorrow its weigh bridge time...there must be a maximum weight that can be applied to the tow ball and or trailer hitch? is this correct?

Look at the S marking on the tow bar, tow ball, trailer hitch & car specs.

You must always use the lowest one as the maximum.

Roughly you want to be looking at 5-7% of trailers max weight aprox.

True but i would imagine when you factor in real world driving conditions there will be situations where excessive weight will be placed upon the towball - eye its self.

I think what bob said applies for any trailer according to a gov website.

Nose weight is the static load, not the dynamic load.

Look at the S marking on the tow bar, tow ball, trailer hitch & car specs.

You must always use the lowest one as the maximum.

Roughly you want to be looking at 5-7% of trailers max weight aprox.

What exactly does the s stand for? i assume the weight displayed is for the tow ball and the pin or would they have different weights?

So much to take into account, trailer weights, axle weights, load distribution, nose weight :001_huh:

So after finally running over a weigh bridge i can determine that i am 20kgs under the legal maximum weight the trailer can carry! i now need to find a weigh bridge that can weigh each axle as i suspect 1 is probably over weight.

After numerous calls to dvsa & my local vosa test centre about 8 local weigh bridges i managed to find a free weigh bridge not too far away. only problem is the wheels on the trailer are not spaced far enough apart to register each axle weights :sneaky2: anyone know of a weigh bridge in the Wakefield Leeds area?