Large Lawsons cypress near faversham, kent

treefolk

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wonder when I read these type of threads whether people actually look at the photos or just don't see things.

It appears to me from the photo that the tree has a twist in it and great big dead pegs.

A fork at approx. 10 foot means a great big cleft running down the tree also.

The potential recovery rate of anything of real value from this log wouldn't justify the milling in my opinion.

being in the cypress family it's great for outdoor usage either as garden furniture or cladding and should do quite well as fence posts.

if it were this side of london i'd be very interested.

should make a nice couple of table tops from the middle boards...

learn something new everyday

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

I often wonder when I read these type of threads whether people actually look at the photos or just don't see things.

It appears to me from the photo that the tree has a twist in it and great big dead pegs.

A fork at approx. 10 foot means a great big cleft running down the tree also.

The potential recovery rate of anything of real value from this log wouldn't justify the milling in my opinion.

not everyone wants only clear straight and near perfect wood.

many of us are happy with a natural product.

not everyone wants only clear straight and near perfect wood.

many of us are happy with a natural product.

Can you honestly say looking at the pics that are available that the tree can be utilised profitably milling it small scale?

Any wood is a natural product, but my point was that people tend to make comments without seeing the defects.

Just from the pics available I can see problems with inbark, dead knots , movement in boards from twist, and that's the side we can see.

I am making my comments from a buyer for sawmills.

We could try and make a case for any tree and I know you do, but tbh even as firewood a tree isn't wasted.

Can you honestly say looking at the pics that are available that the tree can be utilised profitably milling it small scale?

Any wood is a natural product, but my point was that people tend to make comments without seeing the defects.

Just from the pics available I can see problems with inbark, dead knots , movement in boards from twist, and that's the side we can see.

I am making my comments from a buyer for sawmills.

We could try and make a case for any tree and I know you do, but tbh even as firewood a tree isn't wasted.

i do agree that there will be unseen problems and it could be a waste of time but i don't look at trees and think :thumbup:"money":thumbup:

i look at trees and wood and think what could i make from that?

as a buyer for a sawmill you obviously need to think of problems that could affect the profit from each log which is great for business but i don't have a brain that works that way (pity really), my brain sees potential alfresco dining tables and legs along with coffee tables with large candlestick or lamps as a possibility.

my head is cursed with wanting to see every bit of wood used regardless if i see a profit or not.

it won't be wasted as fire wood but it would be sacrilege in my opinion.

i do agree that there will be unseen problems and it could be a waste of time but i don't look at trees and think :thumbup:"money":thumbup:

i look at trees and wood and think what could i make from that?

as a buyer for a sawmill you obviously need to think of problems that could affect the profit from each log which is great for business but i don't have a brain that works that way (pity really), my brain sees potential alfresco dining tables and legs along with coffee tables with large candlestick or lamps as a possibility.

my head is cursed with wanting to see every bit of wood used regardless if i see a profit or not.

Tbh you are making statements like it wants milling into table boards etc. I suspect from having very little experience of milling.

You could mill this that and the other from logs, but at what cost?

This tree has problems, some of them will be more evident when its felled, providing it is sound.

We have been told the tree forks at 10 foot,..how far do you think that will run down the tree in this species ? what of any value could be milled from the timber affected by the fork? Assuming the tree is felled at ground level and the problems showing at the bottom AND the cleft running down the tree what useable length is there left?

There appears to be dead peg holes on the tree of quite a large diameter and also the fluting suggests twisting,..neither of any use in small dimension timber. With its location theres a very good chance of metal present...the list goes on.

Taking all that into consideration and milling costs, even if on site, handling costs, transportation costs, waste its going to work out a very high cost

Tbh you are making statements like it wants milling into table boards etc. I suspect from having very little experience of milling.

You could mill this that and the other from logs, but at what cost?

This tree has problems, some of them will be more evident when its felled, providing it is sound.

We have been told the tree forks at 10 foot,..how far do you think that will run down the tree in this species ? what of any value could be milled from the timber affected by the fork? Assuming the tree is felled at ground level and the problems showing at the bottom AND the cleft running down the tree what useable length is there left?

There appears to be dead peg holes on the tree of quite a large diameter and also the fluting suggests twisting,..neither of any use in small dimension timber. With its location theres a very good chance of metal present...the list goes on.

Taking all that into consideration and milling costs, even if on site, handling costs, transportation costs, waste its going to work out a very high cost

Get what you're saying but it amazes me what folk will buy these days, I googled "Port Orford Cedar (Lawson Cypress) table for sale" and this came up. Seen loads of similar pieces here in the UK for sale for similar prices (£s) in all kinds of timber. People love the wany edged boards these days if they're finish (waxed/polished) to a really high standard.

5976724a82fa6_lawsontable.jpg.869de091ffed96ef932a0f34e7be695e.jpg