Hitting a parked vehicle and not leaving details

kevinjohnsonmbe

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my area of expertise at all and happy to be wrong, but be careful that taking a sample of paint off the other car without the owner's permission doesn't leave you open to a charge of criminal damage.

Paint often cracks when the panel is damaged. You may be right but if you are certain that's the car I'd take the chance.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Arbtalk mobile app

Solicitor would ask how you came by the sample of paint.

That would be theft then, he'll say.

Evidence connected with said paint ruled inadmissable.

If you had a good breif he may suggest that you retrieved said paint chip off dameged vehical.

I don't condone lieing to the courts but if your sure and there deninig it it's game on as far as I'm concerned.

Can you really see the feds doing paint chip comparison analysis?

You'd be lucky if they rocked up if the car had a dead body in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Insurance firms might. Or may settle if you show you have physical evidence. Something I was told a few years back when something similar happened.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Arbtalk mobile app

• 2 months later...

Here we are 5 months on so must be time for a quick update!

Received today from the Rozzers a letter stating that the other party had recently completed, at their own expense, a 1 day Driver Alertness and Improvement Course as an alternative to prosecution. The file is now closed. However, if they are involved in a similar incident within 3 years the police will ordinarily refer the matter for automatic prosecution.

Well the police file may be closed and the vehicle has been repaired satisfactorily, but my file is not yet closed.

There remains the matter of a moneyclaimonline (small claims court) action for recovery of uninsured losses. That seems to be progressing with the other party's legal team initially refusing to accept liability and rejecting the offer of mediation to recently requesting detail of the uninsured losses in order to fully assess the claim.

• 3 weeks later...

After about 20 failed attempts to get through on the phone, on the 18 May I sent a hastener email to the County Court Business Centre asking for a progress report.

Auto reply - we'll be in touch within 10 days....

Tried the phone again the next day and after waiting for 12 places in the queue, finally got through.

Me - where are we with this it's been a while now.

Her - Oh, it's been sent to mediation, you'll have to speak to them.

Me - It can't go to mediation unless both parties agree to mediate (I did, they didn't) Why has it been sent to mediation?

Her - It has to go to mediation before a court hearing.

Me - It can only go to mediation if both parties agree, the other party did not agree.

Her - Can you send me a copy of their form.

Me - No, you must have your own copy, you know, the one you must have looked at before sending it to mediation.

Her - oh, you'll have to talk to mediation.

Me - (thinks) (much swearing) another ½ day on the phone waiting in a queue to talk to some leg iron that shouldn't even be drawing oxygen let alone a salary. (says) Perhaps you could re-check your procedures, extract it from mediation and do your job properly?

Conversation discontinued :confused1::confused1::confused1:

Anyway, yesterday, 20 days after the email that should have been replied to within 10 days, I get a reply!

Classic!! Sorry we can't answer your question since the case has been sent to Bodmin County Court.

At least it's progressing but not through any effort, professionalism or competence on the part of those involved thus far!