DVSA safe towing campaign

kevinjohnsonmbe

So why do trailer manuals say you must chock the wheel if on anything other than flat ground?

As the maker. The trailer base makers say they should work.

I would not buy a traier that the parking braked only worked for 50% of the time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not illegal but it is not classed as a secure solution. Get a plate with an eye that fastens on behind the ball or you can get one that clamps onto a swan neck.

It is illegal; will get points and fine (same as if not attached or missing) if you get stopped by police or vosa. Was discussed here a while back when there was a clampdown. Attached to the vehicle or towbar frame; the tow bar bolts are known for failure so anything bolted with the same two bolts would be just as frowned on presumably.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is wear on the actual ball. We once had a Vermeer bounce off of a very slightly worn ball (barely measurable), brakes didn't come on as it caught us up and wedged on the tow bar without the breakaway cable operating.

After steering it into the kerb, the realisation of the consequence had it come totally adrift in the face of oncoming traffic was rather sobering.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is wear on the actual ball. We once had a Vermeer bounce off of a very slightly worn ball (barely measurable), brakes didn't come on as it caught us up and wedged on the tow bar without the breakaway cable operating.

After steering it into the kerb, the realisation of the consequence had it come totally adrift in the face of oncoming traffic was rather sobering.

I know towball wear is an issue, but the other thing to bear in mind is that American hitches use a larger cup and ball (2'') than we do (50mm). I know this can be a problem that owners are oblivious to with imported boat trailers - if someone brought an American chipper across then it would more than likely have too big a hitch to safely attach to a uk ball (even though it would appear to lock on).

Re cable attachment points.

The law says that all tow bars fitted after 2012 must have a makers fitted attachment point.

(one big towbar maker disputes this & says its the towbar design date that counts not the fitting date)

If the point is fitted it must be used or a secure alternative.

If no makers point is fitted it is permissible to loop over the ball if not better option is available.

On most vehicles the fitted point would allow the cable to drag on the floor. I use a loose cable tie around the rubber gaiter to hold the cable up & pass the cable through the tow bars frame.

On pick ups beware looping over the big round bar as the cable can move to the end on a tight bend & stick which will then apply the brakes when you straighten.

Edited by Justme

Then surely your vehicle wasn't maintained to a road worthy condition in the first place

I was referring to the experience of others earlier in the thread and from memory it's been mentioned in previous threads about bolts shearing.

Not having a petulant retort but who actually checks the towball mounting bolts. They could be part sheared for some time before failure and without taking them off, how would the average driver know.

I'm quite a nit picker when operating commercial equipment. As I do relief driving.A few weeks back an 18 ton truck I was driving had them nut lock plastic indicators on, but I noticed faint rust streaks around some of them on the front wheel. I could spin the shoulder washers on them with my fingers! When We tested them with a socket 3 out of 10 sheared off. They were only partly solid. Yet the regular driver hadn't noticed for quite some time. Visually they looked OK, maybe the last time they were torqued they held well, it was an accident waiting to happen.

Yes the trucks do get the required regular proffesional inspections.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

I know towball wear is an issue, but the other thing to bear in mind is that American hitches use a larger cup and ball (2'') than we do (50mm). I know this can be a problem that owners are oblivious to with imported boat trailers - if someone brought an American chipper across then it would more than likely have too big a hitch to safely attach to a uk ball (even though it would appear to lock on).

2" towballs used to be normal in the UK as well, but a long time ago (like back in the '60s and before). The first car I ever bought had one, a '66 Triumph 200 Estate.

If I recall correctly, when the move to the standard metric 50mm coupling started to happen, the metric balls had to have a flat on the top with "50mm" stamped on it. I think even to this day that a metric 50mm towball has a flat on the top. If you have a ball with a round top, it probably isn't 50mm.

Mismatching 2" and 50mm couplings can be deadly.

2" towballs used to be normal in the UK as well, but a long time ago (like back in the '60s and before). The first car I ever bought had one, a '66 Triumph 200 Estate.

If I recall correctly, when the move to the standard metric 50mm coupling started to happen, the metric balls had to have a flat on the top with "50mm" stamped on it. I think even to this day that a metric 50mm towball has a flat on the top. If you have a ball with a round top, it probably isn't 50mm.

Mismatching 2" and 50mm couplings can be deadly.

Saw this happen on American chopper to show I just happened to watch once when on holiday.

Worn ball hitch and dad very displeased with son!