Annoying Things Guys Do On Site

Haironyourchest

People who ask to borrow your good tools. Not really "on site" but that does it for me. Thanks a lot for forcing me to say NO, making me feel like the Grinch and ruining my day. Being from a culture with an indirect communication style I can't just say - "Sorry, no can do." I have developed a rambling waffle which seems to work, involving "It's the one tool I never lend to anybody you see, and I know you'd take care of it but then I'd be obliged to lend it to other people know what I mean - and its so fragile, I mean I already broke it a couple of times myself etc etc...."

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who ask to borrow your good tools. Not really "on site" but that does it for me. Thanks a lot for forcing me to say NO, making me feel like the Grinch and ruining my day. Being from a culture with an indirect communication style I can't just say - "Sorry, no can do." I have developed a rambling waffle which seems to work, involving "It's the one tool I never lend to anybody you see, and I know you'd take care of it but then I'd be obliged to lend it to other people know what I mean - and its so fragile, I mean I already broke it a couple of times myself etc etc...."

Hair on your chest? You may need some on your gonads! ;-) grow a pair lad & tell them to jog on... Or tell them sorry but I never lend kit out, it's my livelihood I've worked hard for it +I'll most likely need it tomorrow etc. If they're a good mate then work for beer & bbq, if not tell them you'd be more than happy to price up the job for 'em :-)

Hair on your chest? You may need some on your gonads! ;-) grow a pair lad & tell them to jog on... Or tell them sorry but I never lend kit out, it's my livelihood I've worked hard for it +I'll most likely need it tomorrow etc. If they're a good mate then work for beer & bbq, if not tell them you'd be more than happy to price up the job for 'em :-)

This.

Yeah you're dead right, but around here it's a bit different, hard to explaine but neighbours are friends and friends are neighbours kind of deal. A lot of people I know help each other out with labour on different jobs, contribute our gear etc. And some are very generous when it comes to lending their stuff..it can get political if you know what mean. I'm getting hairier as time goes by though.

I understand, you live in a community that has been together for generations.

It's a bit like that here, people hate some people because their grandmother had their chicken stolen by someone else's Grandmother after the First World War.

They also have links that go back generations and help each other without question for nothing more than the promise of a good supper.

Luckily, as an incomer, I have no such obligations, nothing can be borrowed, everyone gets charged!

Edited by Mick Dempsey

Using good trimmers for bottoms of hedges ( we have a battered set)

Climbers in hedge reductions leaving massive pegs that they cba to cut and the trimmers certainly won't

Files left stabbed in lawn

Dinner bags and everything left on front drive

Keys left in daft places

Blunt saws in box rather than sharpened

Talking while on rigging/ pull ropes

General lazy ground staff watching rather than finding things to do

Rubbish on dash

Wet coats under back seat- MY ABSOLUTE WORST THING

Staff that hoof everyone else's kit and stuff out to get their bag and just chuck everyones back in any old way

Launching timber onto van denting body etc [emoji35]

Not read through the whole thread but some great ones on here. I was surprised by some of the bad stuff being tolerated by you bosses. If it's bugging you that much how come you keep working with the culprits? If employees are abusing your kit, not helping out properly and not acting in ways conducive to building a loyal fan base of customers they gotta go right now! Replace with subcontractors. And pay more than everyone else to get the very best. Subbies need to be invited back every day if they like working for you so the whole attitude is different to someone who thinks they are unlikely to ever get sacked.

Not read through the whole thread but some great ones on here. I was surprised by some of the bad stuff being tolerated by you bosses. If it's bugging you that much how come you keep working with the culprits? If employees are abusing your kit, not helping out properly and not acting in ways conducive to building a loyal fan base of customers they gotta go right now! Replace with subcontractors. And pay more than everyone else to get the very best. Subbies need to be invited back every day if they like working for you so the whole attitude is different to someone who thinks they are unlikely to ever get sacked.

Good points, plus bunnywunnys should have wings and poop smarties.