Reg on one handing a saw

stihlmadasever

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that happens if you safe guard against everything is open the door to people coming into the industry who shouldn't be in the industry. Like Tim says, "In fact there's many people now in treework who are simply not physically or mentally capable of the job."

I think many bosses are responsible this, instead of growing a backbone and telling some employees that they are not and never will be suited to tree work and should get another job before they kill themselves at the bosses expense. Training centres should do the same.

Among the Job interview questions should be:

Can you tie you own shoe laces without your mum helping?

Have you ever used a spanner?

Have you ever been without your phone for a day?

Do you text talk ?

Would you ever call a customer "mate" or "love" ?

Can you do more than one thing at once ?

etc etc

I wondered how long this thread'd go before the issue of fitness standards'd raise its ugly head!

Personally I think being mentally fit enough's more important than the physical aspect.

A one armed or one legged pro could still get er done IMO.

Jomoco

For me one handing is a tool in the armoury.

If you need to do it, you need to do it well, and think every cut through.

I've seen enough lads with burst left forearms to make me think it through.

Quicker? They weren't very quick with their arm in a tendon cast for months.

I've seen lads who literally couldn't stop doing it, every single cut.

Even free fall, hold with left, cut with right, throw vertically downwards into a totally clear drop zone. Mental.

There's also the repetitive strain aspect. If you cut and hold all day every day tennis elbow will be in the post, and that's a bastard.

Good thread. Anything that makes us think about how we could work a bit more safely whilst still being productive has got to be a positive thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

There are situations unique to strategic takedowns that demand one handing your trimsaw as the dynamic ride starts for goodness sakes.

That moment when the top you just cut free becomes weightless, as the stem your on floats backwards, then snaps forward quickly as the head's weight hits the speed line.

You think keeping two hands on that saw's more important than maintaining your equilibrium n balance during the action?

Yes, you can pull that trigger with a handsaw on small stuff, but not big stuff, IME.

I'll be damned if I'll let that stem break my nose to keep both hands on the saw!

But there again, I may well be one of those climbers who should never be emulated period.

Jomoco

Would you not say that good Fitness and mental aptitude where critical criteria?

Its not taboo, it will come up

I'll freely admit that my mental state has spiralled downhill for the last year to the point I bailed on my first job in almost 30 years of climbing this week. Your mental state and aptitude has more to do with it than your physical I would suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk